motorguide xi5 problems

good evening I have a motorguide xi5, with transducer and pinpoint, it started to present a problem of speed increasing by itself, and locking and not recognizing the control commands anymore, just cutting the power to return. I thought it was the control board, I bought another one but I still have the problem. I already took the pinpoint out but it still presents the problem. Would anyone have any idea what it could be?

2. Member
    Do you have a foot pedal or hand held remote? either case it may be bad. Best way to find out is you get a remote from a buddy, or bring to repair shop to check out. Sounds like whichever you have it may be bad.

3. Member
    I have had mine for aboy 4 years and it gets stupid like that aver so offen...have just learned to live with it. I troll with it and it seems like it all of a sudden goes real fast from one point to another but I just leave it alone and it seems like it settles down after it gets there. I think it looses the gps connection and then finds it. Hope this helps. I still love mine and am going to try to buy a back up. how much did a board set you back?

4. Member
    My Xi5 does the same thing. Speeding up is almost always while on cruise control. Rarely use cruise because of that.

When it is not responding to commands are you in heading lock? If so, hit the “M” manual button and see if it responds after that. Often times when I’m in heading lock mine will not let me change course. If I hit left or right, the motor will move a degree or less, but not sweep the desired direction as normal. Hit the left/right arrow several times and it eventually responds.

One other thing to check is that you have good batteries in your remote. Not Rayovac. Get some good Energizer or Duracell batteries.

5. Member
    Good Morning,
    I removed my engine from the boat and mounted it on a test bench, placed a new set of batteries and performed some tests.
    The two remote controls without batteries (off), only the pedal controlling the engine works perfectly, even with the old control board which I believed to be defective.
    Turning on one of the remote controls that has a defect in the + key, everything works perfectly.
    When I turn on the second remote control that I bought to replace the first one, the engine goes crazy emitting several beeps, if I take the batteries out of this control the pedal takes over and everything goes back to normal.
    Sometimes the engine got stuck and I had to remove the power from it, to start operating again.
    After these tests I concluded that I have two defective remote controls, and now a control board that I bought without needing.

6. Member
    I had a Xi5 for 4 years. All 4 of those years, couldn't use cruise control because speed would ramp up. I was always linked to a lowrance, gen3, carbon, elite ti, ti2 and I be following a route and about twice a day speed would ramp all the way up. Tried a new nmea network, new gateway. Only thing didnt try was a different Xi5. I adjusted the xte limit, a few other things and just learned to cancel and restart route. I did that 4 years, sold it and bought an Ultrex, now linked to Solix G2, couldn't be happier

7. Member
    Good afternoon,

I disassembled my two remote controls, found the defect of both the first one the track that takes power to the heading lock button and to the + button was interrupted, I recovered and he started to operate again.
    In the second control, the + key was incorrectly mounted and rests on the track that leads to the power supply, making a short circuit, I mounted it correctly and solved the problem too.

It seems to me that this remote control keyboard has many flaws.

8. Member
    Marcio, I follow what you’re saying, but how did you fix it? Solder? Have any photos?