Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    D2 and Threadmaster

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Where are you ordering the XAR, i would like to try it especially if it is thin.
    I actually just ordered some yesterday from Lance at Swampland. He posted that they got some in on FB.

Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    I use Threadmaster Lite for the 1st coat and Threadmaster for the second coat.
    ^^^^^^ This

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatlildave View Post
    I was taught on using Enviro-Tex. In fact the man that got me into rod building still uses it today. I use Pro Kote now and like it.
    Envirotex lite is some good stuff as well. It's cheaper and works well. I use Envirotex lite the most for my rod building because I get it for free at the shop I work at. Been using it for about a year now. That said, I still rotate and try new epoxies pretty often. They all work the same for me, some just have longer or shorter working time and pot life.

5. Member
    Got my Gen 4.from getbit and tried it on a rod i had waiting..interesting stuff. If this is the high build the lite will be like water. The B part of the mix is Very thin compared to any finish I've ever used. I have been a threadmaster fan from the first day it was available. Good stuff. The Gen 4 does release bubbles better than anything else. Pot time could be a bit longer for me but i had no problems with application.. finish is super clear and dried hard. Need to try it on some more rods but i think i like it. Found no reason to heat it for bubble removal. It reminds me more of a lite build

I’ve been using Pro Flex and like it for the long pot life and lite build. Can anyone say how the Gen4 compares to the Pro Flex?

7. Member
    Got my Gen 4 on Friday and used it twice, on a new build for myself and on a guide strip/replace of a Powell. I like it a lot, seems to take a little longer to dry compared to Threadmaster or D2. I turned them for like 5 hours instead of 4 based on the consistency of the leftover in my foil cup. Not a big deal to me. It's a little thicker than D2 and maybe just a hair thinner than Threadmaster.

I didn't do anything in terms of heat or blowing through a straw or anything for bubbles and it came out 100% bubble free as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Got my Gen 4 on Friday and used it twice, on a new build for myself and on a guide strip/replace of a Powell. I like it a lot, seems to take a little longer to dry compared to Threadmaster or D2. I turned them for like 5 hours instead of 4 based on the consistency of the leftover in my foil cup. Not a big deal to me. It's a little thicker than D2 and maybe just a hair thinner than Threadmaster.

I didn't do anything in terms of heat or blowing through a straw or anything for bubbles and it came out 100% bubble free as advertised.
    How was the pot life?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    How was the pot life?
    I'd say longer than D2 or Threadmaster just based on how long it took to dry. I did one full rod and 8 guides on the Powell, maybe took me 15 mins and it was still fine. I've really never kept track of the time but I know 2 full rods was pushing it with Threadmaster.

This turned into an awesome thread. I've been really pleased with the Threadmaster Lite---almost always get perfect results with 2 coats---but always looking for something better. Definitely going to try the Gen4!

Willwork: Were you careful at all when you mixed it up? Wondering if it releases bubbles well enough to be a little more "cavalier" than you usually can be when mixing it up.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    This turned into an awesome thread. I've been really pleased with the Threadmaster Lite---almost always get perfect results with 2 coats---but always looking for something better. Definitely going to try the Gen4!

Willwork: Were you careful at all when you mixed it up? Wondering if it releases bubbles well enough to be a little more "cavalier" than you usually can be when mixing it up.
    No, I mixed it up like I mix them all. Both parts go in a plastic dixie cup and get stirred up pretty quick with a popsicle stick. Then I pour it into a foil bowl and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I apply with a thin disposable brush. With regular Threadmaster and now the Gen4 I get great results with one coat. D2 almost always needs two coats. With Threadmaster and D2 I get rid of the bubbles with heat, holding a grill lighter flame next to (not under) the wrap. Didn't have to do anything with the Gen4.

12. Member
    On my 1st use of Gen 4 i purposely mixed it with no regard for bubbles just to see how it released them. You. literally can watch them rise to the top and pop. Second use i didn't even blow on the mix with a straw. Both times the product worked perfectly. Great finish

13. Member
    GEN4 is incredible. No bubbles, levels very easily, long pot life. Cure time on the dryer, 8-10 hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12