1989 Bass Cat Calico Steering Cables

Hi There!

Hope all is well with everyone! Few questions recently purchased a used boat:

1989 Bass Cat Calico Fish & Ski
    With 150HP Evinrude V6

The steering was locked up when purchased (from sitting for a few years) was a real good deal so was okay with that, question being is it possible to replace the dual rack and pinion steering cables without unbolting/loosening the motor due to the angle the lines go into the transom? I can un-bolt the front mounting bracket so that one shouldn’t be to bad...but the back one the angle seems like it would be almost impossible to do without removing/loosening the motor from transom or drilling a new hole to run lines?

The number on the cables appear to say:

MORSE E300619-741N-4489

Not sure what would be equivalent in regards to replacements. Having hard time finding anything online...will call a local dealer tomorrow. Was planning on replacing everything from the lines all way to the helm and steering wheel etc?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Jaime

BCB did not use Morse cables in that time frame, thus we are suspect they have been replaced.

BCB

3. Member
    Thank you for the information greatly appreciated!

I changed my cables on a 1993 PII and had to loosen the transom bolts to make the angle. If I had to do it again I would get a engine hoist. I had to loosen the port side a lot and the starboard just a little and then wedge the port side out to get the cables in. Engine hoist would of been the way to go.

5. Member
    Thanks for the reply! Agree from the people I talked to and YouTube videos seems that will be the easiest way to go, will rent one when buy new cables.

6. Member
    Pulled out the old steering cables out they were marked Morse 174” that turns into 14.5’ rounding up to the next foot gives me 15’...measured the pulled cables plastic end to plastic end and added 30” and came up with 14.5’ again to double check.

The boat has 150HP Evinrude V6 would the below steering system work or does it need to be a different system because it’s a 150HP?

Link:
    Teleflex NFB Dual Rack Steering System 15' - Teleflex SS15215 - Teleflex NFB Rack Steering System - Mechanical Steering - Steering and Control Systems - Engine/Mechanical - Boatersland Marine

Home > Boat Parts > Steering > Replacement Steering Systems > Tilt Helm & Steering Cables
    Tilt Helm & Steering Cables

I would give the factory a call to see if they can help.