250 SHO engine data on birds

I just got a new boat with a 250 show and it has helix g2n SI and DI. I am pretty much a humminbird illiterate
    But would like to get some engine data to show up on the birds. I am unable to find anything online that shows what I need and what data shows up. I mainly interested in RPMs water pressure and hours. Is it possible to get these to show up on the birds? Any help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Gsmith223; 05-17-2020 at 04:22 PM.

2. Member
    You'll need a nmea 2000 starter kit, hbird nmea 2k box, 5 port ethernet switch, engine interface cable, and Yamaha water pressure sensor.
    With that you should be able to get : engine hours, engine temp, water pressure, oil pressure, fuel rate, and trim angle(if you unhook factory trim gauge and plug together pink wires under cowling)

NMEA 2K starter kit - 000-0124-69
    Water pressure sensor - 69J-8A4L0-15-00
    Engine interface cable - 000-0120-37
    NMEA 2K box - AS ETH NMEA2K
    Ethernet Switch - AS ETH 5PXG

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    You'll need a nmea 2000 starter kit, hbird nmea 2k box, 5 port ethernet switch, engine interface cable, and Yamaha water pressure sensor.
    With that you should be able to get : engine hours, engine temp, water pressure, oil pressure, fuel rate, and trim angle(if you unhook factory trim gauge and plug together pink wires under cowling)

NMEA 2K starter kit - 000-0124-69
    Water pressure sensor - 69J-8A4L0-15-00
    Engine interface cable - 000-0120-37
    Ethernet Switch - AS ETH 5PXG
    Pink wires under cowling?
    2018 X21 Pro
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    12" Hydraulic Atlas
    Minn Kota 112# Ultrex

4. Member
    I setup mine this past week and i am only seeing RPM, and motor temp. Can you explain what i need to do to get engine hours, oil pressure, and fuel rate. Also include picture of the trim angle(if you unhook factory trim gauge and plug together pink wires under cowling)

thanks.
    Wes

2020 Skeeter ZX225
    netbait.com
    denalirods.com

5. Member
    bump
    Wes

2020 Skeeter ZX225
    netbait.com
    denalirods.com

6. Member
    That’s all I get with mine rpms and eng temp .

7. Member
    Following just ordered a new Skeeter. Is this the best way to see engine hours? New to the SHO or should I just add a yamaha engine hour?

Is this required for engine data or just for ethernet?
    Thanks

9. Member
    If your running Helix's you will need everything Wackyjig posted. If your not interested in the electronic water pressure because you prefer the analog water pressure you can leave out the water pressure sensor. If you run Solix's you can run the Yamaha interface cable straight to your NMEA 2K backbone, and then from the NMEA 2K backbone to the back of the unit. Those of you only seeing a few engine readings (data), while on the engine data screen you have to go into your settings and select the engine options you wish to see. Lot's of choices. When I ran Solix's I selected RPMs, Oil Pressure, Engine Temp, Engine Hours, Water Pressure, and Trim. Everyone will have their preferences.

Actually I run the HDS 12 g3 and my data cable plugs directly to the NEMA and then to the HDS as you said like the Solix. Just didn't know you needed all that for the 'bird. I run my WP, temp & RPM as an overlay also

11. Member
    I have ran NEMA to my helix and all I can get is RPM and engine temp only. So if you are wanting more information than that you may want to do more research before spending the money on the install. I am very disappointed that all the data I can get is RPM and engine temp. If I knew that is all I would get I would save the money and buy more fishing gear.

If anyone has some helpful information I am open to try anything as I have already spent the money.
    Wes

2020 Skeeter ZX225
    netbait.com
    denalirods.com

12. Member
    I ended up of putting a small Lowrance at the dash I just bought a 15 solix to put at the dash. I will try to set things up this weekend and do a how to.

I actually didn't realize you needed that extra equipment for the Helix. Glad I run the HDS at the console but I do run the Helix 12 at the bow.

14. Member
    Solution to my problem - hope it helps someone else -
    My boat 2020 zx 225
    Helix 12’s

Equipment needed for my setup
    Humminbird network hub
    NEMA black box from humminbird
    NEMA starter kit
    NEMA cable to SHO

Setup nema network
    Connect nema black box to humminbird network and nema network Connect NEMA cable to a cable under the hood that was not in use with white cap on it on the left side of motor facing bow.

Power on humminbird network and helix

This is the pet that no one told me about Turn key on motor to start but don’t start it Next steps are all on the helix Go to NMEA data block view Press Menu - then menu again Choose Setup Select read outs Scroll to engine 1 Press check mark on helix Move between selections Same for gauge view

With the key turned on the data will start to be seen on the screen.

Again I am no pro and I have searched the internet and never saw these complete instructions.

I will say my motor did not need the Yamaha smart craft gauge to make nema work.

Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldEditEdit in GingerEdit in Ginger×
    Wes

2020 Skeeter ZX225
    netbait.com
    denalirods.com

15. Member
    What info are you seeing? Engine temp, water pressure...ext.

16. Member
    I am seeing everything that is offered even boost pressure which i did not know was a thing. I am not seeing water pressure but i could by pulling the cable off the gauge on the dash and getting it plumed into the Nema network same with trim.

I will say that with the Helix you cannot add readouts to GPS screen from the Engine Screen. You can do this with the Solix but not helilx. Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldEditEdit in GingerEdit in Ginger×
    Wes

2020 Skeeter ZX225
    netbait.com
    denalirods.com