Oil change question

4 Stroke 250 Pro XS Serial 2B733457. The boat has been sitting in the garage for a week. Motor is trimmed most of the way down. I will change the oil today. Does the motor need to be tilted up for a bit and then back down before I drain the oil ? I was reading something about tilting it up first to drain the sump or something like that. My motor gets tilted most of the way up in the process of getting it in the garage. After I get it where I need it I then tilt and trim it almost completely down stopping just short of the concrete floor. Can I just drain it from there or do I need to run it up and then back down before draining ? Seems like I could just drain it the way it is sitting now but just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really should be warmed up... then follow the instructions in the Engine Owners Manual for checking (and changing) the engine oil.

Start with 5.5-5.7 qts- you will not use more than 6 qts to reach the correct level (between second and third balls).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Well, I went ahead and changed it. I tilted it up and let it set for 5 minutes. Next I trimmed it down and drained it. I let it drain quite a while , like maybe 30 minutes. I did not warm it up. I think I put in close to 7 quarts per the manual. I hope that wasn't too much. I haven't started it yet.

Don when you say the correct level is between the second and third ball are you indicating the ball on the top of the dipstick is number one ? I easily confuse myself trying to determine if we're talking about from the top down or the bottom up.
    I know I put in more than 6 qts. I hope it doesn't cause problems. Owners manual says approximately 7 qts and that's close to what I put in. Haven't started it yet. Was planning on doing that tomorrow morning at the lake.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    Count from the bottom up. 7 quarts is for a new engine fill. It is difficult to get it it all drained out so on a change usually 5.5 quarts is about right to refill. I would say you overfilled but check your level on your dipstick. At least it is easy to drain a quart out if needed.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    -O---------O---O---O---O---O---------------------------
    LOW........
    Add...^^^...Too Full...... Way Too Full

^^^ is "Just Right".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you Don. helps a bunch ! I guess with the manual reporting approximately 7 qts that's kind of what I focused on. I guess it's because of the deal with my car motors. I don't mind running them a bit low but I try to never run them a qt low. I'll check it in the morning before I head out. Sounds like I'll probably need to make a correction in my learning curve.

I appreciate the feedback.
    GETFISHED !!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    -O---------O---O---O---O---O---------------------------
    LOW........
    Add...^^^...Too Full...... Way Too Full

^^^ is "Just Right".
    Don, this illustration makes it so simple even us Cave Men can do it. Thanks again.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

8. Member
    How simple would it be if the manufacturers would just mark that zone on the dipstick itself?
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sounds like it would be that simple... but when you view the stick markings as intended (Minimum and Maximum) it's probably a bit easier to understand.

Think I'm gonna post this to the FAQ section.

10. Member
    I get the feeling there may be some mentality that perpetuates (in general not just marine engines), that oil level as close to full (typically the top mark) as possible without going over is ideal, however it seems we really should be aiming for the happy middle of the add/full markings on the stick.
    Last edited by R2Tracker; 05-21-2020 at 01:11 PM.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    On Mercury's 4-strokes, we "optimally" aim for 25-33% into the safe range (1/4 to 1/3).

12. Member
    Is it possible to use an oil extractor thru the oil filler or dipstick hole on a Mercury 250 ProXS instead of having to remove the drain plug and have a mess?

John

13. Member
    Most guys are slipping a drain hose over the drain outlet and sticking the hose right into a drain pan. That's what I did , no mess at all. 1/2" hose
    GETFISHED !!!

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Most guys are slipping a drain hose over the drain outlet and sticking the hose right into a drain pan. That's what I did , no mess at all. 1/2" hose
    This is the intended/designed method (you can also use a hose on the filter "catch basin" to drain off spilled oil).

I prefer to punch a hole in the old filter (up high) before draining oil, which allows the filter to completely drain before it's removed. Almost no oil spillage when done this way.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    This is the intended/designed method (you can also use a hose on the filter "catch basin" to drain off spilled oil).

I prefer to punch a hole in the old filter (up high) before draining oil, which allows the filter to completely drain before it's removed. Almost no oil spillage when done this way.
    I did my first oil change without warming up the motor. I raised it up for a couple minutes, put it back down for a couple minutes and then I drained the crankcase. By the time that was finished, I let it drain for a while, I next changed the oil filter. No oil spilled out that I could see. I had a hose attached and a paper shop towel in the filter catch basin but it came back clean, no oil apparently spilled out. Hope I didn't goof by changing on a cold motor.
    GETFISHED !!!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    Is it possible to use an oil extractor thru the oil filler or dipstick hole on a Mercury 250 ProXS instead of having to remove the drain plug and have a mess?

John
    The owner's manual shows this as an option. Shows the pump and tubing needed. WAY easier when the boat is on a lift.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I don't recommend that option because there is a possibility of losing the plastic tubing in the oil sump (due to it breaking, binding or being melted off). Then you end up pulling the powerhead....

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by satbeachbill View Post
    The owner's manual shows this as an option. Shows the pump and tubing needed. WAY easier when the boat is on a lift.
    That sounds like a method alternatively used when the boat is in a slip.
    GETFISHED !!!

19. Member
    Just to clarify the manual shows attaching the hose to the dipstick tube not putting something down the tube.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    Just to clarify the manual shows attaching the hose to the dipstick tube not putting something down the tube.
    I like that MUCH better.