Sunline Sniper Question

We bought 660yd spool of 18lb sniper this spring. It seems to be a bad spool. Coils up bad, cast offs, ties knots on itself. Been thru about 3 reels worth already. Nothing like all of other spools of various Sunline products we have and have used, always great products. Anyone ever send a spool back to Sunline?

Had a 660 spool of 20 lb last year that was like you are describing. Not so much of it breaking more than usual but coiling and memory were horrible. First time I ever bought that large of a spool, I have not done it since. I don't know if that is normal but I can only think in theory that the potential for more memory is there since the line is wrapped around a much smaller diameter spool core then the larger diameter 200 yard size spools. Creating more memory naturally from the get-go.
    Based on this I have realized that I much prefer anything that is level wound on the spool from the mfg.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

3. Member
    There was a thread a while back on bad FC Sniper. I think I had a bad spool of 10 lb- many said they had also had bad spools, some said that we were crazy and imagining things. Like anything on this board, hard to get everyone to agree on anything.

4. Banned
    I had a spool of 20 last year that was exactly as you described. It was strong, but damn it was a pain in the ass to deal with. It was also a 600 yard spool

I've never had a bad spool of Sunline, but I've had plenty of bad spools of other stuff and certainly don't believe that people never end up with bad Sniper. If it's breaking off easily, that sounds like exactly what you've ended up with.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    I think we going to try the warranty dept. I told my son, "get the Sniper it is great" nothing but headaches since. We use Sunline products quite a bit so eventually something goes wrong. Just hate that my 17 yr ponied up for "good stuff" and gets a little burned.

Baitcaster, correct? I've never tried FC that heavy, and I'd bet that our waters are clearer than yours. I went back to copolymer, because I think the FC thing is way out of bounds on price.

Have you tried towing it behind the boat without a lure tied on, as is commonly done with a spinning reel? Have you tried a line conditioner? And have you tried giving it a bit of a stretch before you go fishing with it? All of these help a lot, tho I can't say I've tried all of them together. I would do some or all, before I contacted the mfg.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

8. Member
    We sent it off to check with the warranty dept. We have used FC quite a bit over the past 10 years and this is not acting like anything I have seen before.

9. Member
    I've had this problem with all fluorocarbon I've tried lately. Try this trick I learned. Put line on spool. Put water in a small bowl high enough to cover line on spool. Warm water to where it's either scalding hot from faucet or in microwave about 30 sec. Put spool in hot water line side down for about 1-2 min. Remove spool, pat dry, then spray line with line conditioner. This takes the memory out of the line. I have not had any break offs so it has not weakened the line. It works great.