Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Key word “similar” but not the same. We ll have to agree to disagree here but those 2 oils are not the same.
    Of course it’s not the SAME. You’re missing the forest for the trees, but that’s ok.

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Of course it’s not the SAME. You’re missing the forest for the trees, but that’s ok.
    Im not missing a thing. I know when and when not to use something. Ill keep running delo in the buses at work and outboard oil in my outboard seems pretty basic to me. But thats ok too.......
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    EPA requirments for oil changed a few years ago. Diesel oils have a high Zinc content so it is common to use them In older pushrod style gas engine, that's what I use in all my engines. When the EPA requirements changed gas engine oils could only have a certain amount of Zinc in them so diesel oils had to drop the S ratings because they had too much Zinc, however the actual formula didn't change a whole lot and it is still OK to use diesel oils in older gas engines. Gasoline engine oils typically have a Zinc content of 500-600 ppm and diesel engine oils have double that amount. Regardless I think we have really gotten off topic. The BPS marine oil is perfectly safe to use in your 4 stroke outboard, as is any other brand of marine rated 4 stroke oil.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    EPA requirments for oil changed a few years ago. Diesel oils have a high Zinc content so it is common to use them In older pushrod style gas engine, that's what I use in all my engines. When the EPA requirements changed gas engine oils could only have a certain amount of Zinc in them so diesel oils had to drop the S ratings because they had too much Zinc, however the actual formula didn't change a whole lot and it is still OK to use diesel oils in older gas engines. Gasoline engine oils typically have a Zinc content of 500-600 ppm and diesel engine oils have double that amount. Regardless I think we have really gotten off topic. The BPS marine oil is perfectly safe to use in your 4 stroke outboard, as is any other brand of marine rated 4 stroke oil.
    Newer HDEO’s are using the diesel CK-4 rating and a gasoline SN rating for mixed fleet use.

5. Member
    Newer HDEO’s are using the diesel CK-4 rating and a gasoline SN rating for mixed fleet use.
    Well they must have changed it again then, I remember a couple years ago there was a big fuss among the motorcycle and ATV crowd when Rotella dropped the S rating for gas engines, but since the formula didn't change a whole lot it was OK to continue using it.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Well they must have changed it again then, I remember a couple years ago there was a big fuss among the motorcycle and ATV crowd when Rotella dropped the S rating for gas engines, but since the formula didn't change a whole lot it was OK to continue using it.
    The regular “T” Rotella still doesn’t have a gas rating. They do have a Rotella Gas Truck oil now.

I’m surprised my outboard hasn’t detonated from not using the “recommended” (not mandated) oils.

7. Member
    The regular “T” Rotella still doesn’t have a gas rating. They do have a Rotella Gas Truck oil now.

I’m surprised my outboard hasn’t detonated from not using the “recommended” (not mandated) oils.
    Yeah but the gas truck oil is for modern gas engines, it shouldn't be used in old pushed gas engines, motorcycles or ATVs.

Nobody ever said MANDATED did they. But its point blank simple you are using an oil not recommended by the manufacturer its not even the correct weight and its not FC-W rated which is what is important. You can run whatever you want but thats not that oils intended use. Its all about the additive package and no matter ehat people think they know there are differences.
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 05-21-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Banned
    Nobody ever said MANDATED did they. But its point blank simple you are using an oil not recommended by the manufacturer its not even the correct weight and its not FW-C rated which is what is important. You can run whatever you want but thats not that oils intended use. Its all about the additive package and no matter ehat people think they know there are differences.
    Have you looked at the add pack of Mercury oil in comparison to an HDEO?

Have you looked at the add pack of Mercury oil in comparison to an HDEO?
    Simple question is delo a FC-W certified lubricant?

Read post #11.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1050347
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 05-21-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by turbocoupe View Post
    I used Ford oil in a Chevy I had once. That 5.3 was so weak it added about 50hp
    B%tch please, I was never so excioted as the day I T-boned the lady who decided to bust a U turn from the shoulder in front of me. I couldn't wait to rid myself of that Ford and the 4.6 weak 8 it had under the hood!!
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

12. #FRB
    OK folks settle down now. Everyone run what you want in your 4-stroke outboard because it's your boat and you have to live with the results for better or worse. I'll stick with my Mercury oil just because I know they wouldn't sell something that would hurt the motors they make and have to warranty for up to 7 years. The other guy can stick with his Rotella if he wants as long as it's working for him. I do like how marine grade gear oil and motor oil mixes with water to maybe save your motor from grenading if water gets in it. Like said above it's all in the additive pack. And I don't like that goofy drain Mercury uses either. Had it leak on me right after the last oil change because I didn't tighten it enough. Not a good feeling when you see oil dripping in the lake 5 miles from the ramp and don't have the wrench to tighten it. Better believe the wrench for it is in the boat now! Only lost half a quart luckily and hasn't leaked since and no detection of water in the oil providing it gets milky like marine gear oil if water gets in.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. Banned
    Simple question is delo a FC-W certified lubricant?

Read post #11.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1050347
    Nope. Simple question...what is the FC-W certification entail that’s unique? I’ll save you the trouble...salt spray test to internals. The VOA on Merc oil shows a standard add pack. Nothing special. I’ll have absolutely zero issues doing what I’m doing.

Nope. Simple question...what is the FC-W certification entail that’s unique? I’ll save you the trouble...salt spray test to internals. The VOA on Merc oil shows a standard add pack. Nothing special. I’ll have absolutely zero issues doing what I’m doing.
    Did you read the post in the link from the merc board i posted? Specifically about the viscosity difference also about the warranty at the top if the wrong oil is used. I dont know of too many diesels running 4000-6000 sustained rpms so naturally a diesel motor oil is gonna be a good choice for a high rpm engine........
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Banned
    Did you read the post in the link from the merc board i posted? Specifically about the viscosity difference also about the warranty at the top if the wrong oil is used. I dont know of too many diesels running 4000-6000 sustained rpms so naturally a diesel motor oil is gonna be a good choice for a high rpm engine........
    You are aware it’s an SN rated oil also? Are you intentionally trying to be dense or....?

16. Member
    Diesels have double the compression ratio of a gas engine, a diesel engine puts the oil under as much or even more stress than a high rpm gas engine.

You are aware it’s an SN rated oil also? Are you intentionally trying to be dense or....?
    Yep you got it im the dense one here thats for sure.
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 05-22-2020 at 01:14 AM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XMP View Post
    Has anybody tried the bass pro four stroke oil? What is your opinion of it?
    If your intent is just to save money, how about this Super Tech Synblend 25w40 Outboard Oil, 1 Gallon Bottle

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...ttle/985423053

It is a synthetic blend unlike the BPS oil, and is FC-W certified

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12