Thread: Ghost Review

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    I would have to think the number of people fishing just like you described is about 1 in 30,000. (Give or take a few thousand) Most would just hit the jog button, fish for a minute and hit the jog button again.

2. Member
    It is probably over 90% of those who own an Xi5 with the gps.
    I've never used an ultrex, so couldn't tell you if you can even do it. But i'd guess people who fish in wind and current use it, if they have it, cause i'm not sure what the advantage is in not using it if you have it. Its like having someone else drive the boat while you fish.
    It is 0% for those who own a ghost.

S clip the remote to a belt loop. its pretty unobtrusive and handy.

I had all kinds of trouble this morning trying to pair the FOB with the Ghost? I think I got it paired, but it wouldn’t make the TM do anything. Frustrating. Still trying to figure out the best way to build a route and start nav mode. Haven’t found the place to set arrival mode either. Honestly, the HMI is just not real intuitive. I like lots of things about the Elites and the Ghost, but intuitive operation is not their best feature. Maybe once I get over the learning curve I’ll feel differently.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

4. Member
    My TMR linked right up. Did you follow the instructions that came with it? It will set anchor mode, it will jog left or right while in anchor mode, and it will increase or decrease speed. What were you expecting it to be able to do? You can’t drive the boat with it, unfortunately.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

I expected it to work. I followed the instructions to the letter and expected it to pair. It might have paired because it will click sometimes when hitting a button, but it won’t anchor lock from the remote. It won’t change speed from the remote and it won’t jog from the remote. The only thing it does that leads me to believe it is paired is that it seems to click when I press some of the buttons.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

6. Member
    I'm a bass boat newbie, looking to upgrade the TM that came with my used '15 Z7. I'm also looking to upgrade 1 of 3 screens (at the console). The other screens are HDS-7s (Gen3). I'd like all of the screens to interface with the TM. It's not clear to me if the Ghost will interface with the Gen3 HDS? For budget reasons I'd prefer to move an HDS-7 to the console and upgrade to a used 9-12 Gen3 HDS screens. What is my best option? I'm not stuck on the Ghost, but assumed it would be most likely to interface with the existing screens.

Also not sure if the pedal would have any problem fitting the Z7 pedal recess?

7. Member
    Ghost will only interface for full functionality with Carbon, Live, or Elite Ti2. You can see the sonar and Downscan on a Gen 3 although you would need a 9 pin to 7 pin adapter. Not a big deal, they cost like $30. The pedal fits in the same place my Fortrex and previous Minnkota fit. It's not that much different. Also the bolt holes line up with most existing mounting templates.

NoCAL
    2B112175

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Ghost will only interface for full functionality with Carbon, Live, or Elite Ti2. You can see the sonar and Downscan on a Gen 3 although you would need a 9 pin to 7 pin adapter. Not a big deal, they cost like $30. The pedal fits in the same place my Fortrex and previous Minnkota fit. It's not that much different. Also the bolt holes line up with most existing mounting templates.

NoCAL
    I have my ghost connected to my gen 3 without an adapter. I believe gen 1 & 2 need the adapter. I just ran DI for the first time Sunday and was pretty impressed with the image.

9. Member
    I realized after I posted I used the adapter that came with the ghost I didn’t really look to see if it was a 9 to 7.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post

NoCAL
    I should've been more clear expected the transducer will connect up fine, but want the ability to control the TM via the Gen3 screen. Not possible? Like to navigate/anchor on a saved waypoint that I have on my screen without needing to go to the TM. Isn't this possible between Ghost and Gen3 HDS? From what I understand these functions are possible connecting up a MG Xi5 and HDS, no? Why wouldn't Lowrance provide this equivalent level of backward compatibility... just to sell newer screens?

11. Member
    Gen 3 units cannot connect in any way other than to show the sonar/Downscan. Lowrance has increased the functionality of its units with every new generation. It gets to a point that the older units don’t have the processing power or memory to keep up. My ‘09 Mercedes can’t connect to my phone and play Pandora. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad car, it just can’t be expected to keep up with the newest tech. But some people do think it’s a conspiracy to sell new units.

NoCAL
    2B112175

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12