Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best lake to live near in AL?

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are planning on retiring to Alabama in approximately one year. I am hoping to get a little advice on what area of Alabama would be best and why. We love Guntersville and Scottsboro area but just wondered if we are missing something somewhere else? I used to fish in a lot of tournaments but haven't in years and don't really plan on starting again. Just looking for a nice community that we can do some fun fishing for Bass and catch a few Crappies for dinner now and then.

Thank you
    Tom
    Last edited by Fishinglineman; 05-17-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Lake Martin (not Logan Martin) is great. Weiss is another one but water sports other than fishing are almost nonexistent there if you are wanting grandkids over and pull a tube. West Point is on the AL/GA border and an hour south of Atlanta.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Scottsboro or Guntersville area would work fine for me.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Scottsboro or Guntersville area would work fine for me.
    ^
    There is your answer Guntersvile/Scottsboro.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Dogfish_Jones
    Love living in the Logan Martin area but the lake is off limits for fishing on most weekends during the summer months. It is very crowded.

6. Member
    Alabama is blessed with an abundance of lakes and river systems. One of the most scenic is Lake Mitchell on the Coosa chain. Take a few road trips and visit as many as you can. If you're not a fan of winter draw-downs, make sure you investigate that as well.
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

7. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddis001 View Post
    Alabama is blessed with an abundance of lakes and river systems. One of the most scenic is Lake Mitchell on the Coosa chain. Take a few road trips and visit as many as you can. If you're not a fan of winter draw-downs, make sure you investigate that as well.
    Good point about the water draw down lakes.

8. Member
    Thank you everyone for all the great advice! We are leaning toward Guntersville but need to do a few more road trips for sure. I have fished Chicamauga in Tennessee some and really like it, even looked at homes with a realtor a couple years ago. Then we decided to cross over into Alabama and just really liked how much more laid back it was compared to the Chattanooga area. We also visited Weiss and liked the lake but the area just did not seem as nice as the Guntersville area. I am sure we can find a good church near any of them but I need to keep the wife in mind as far as shopping, dinning etc.

Not really looking to water ski or tube so less pleasure boating would be a plus. I know Guntersville gets a ton of tournament pressure but just wondering if the quality of fishing will make it worth dealing with it. One good thing being retired I wont be on the lake much on weekends.

I know we will deal with tornado's everywhere down there but is there a certain place to avoid that gets hit all the time?

And the winter draw down is going to be something I need some schooling on, haven't really dealt with it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Fishinglineman; 05-17-2020 at 11:49 AM.

9. Member
    Alabama will be a bit less expensive to live in than TN as TN has a higher sales tax rate and other taxes due to no state income tax. Do some research here.

If you eliminate the weekends for fishing, most anywhere will be OK, boat traffic wise.

If you are in the south, you are in the tornado zone. There is no rhyme or reason of when and where.

As far as lake drawdowns, there is a TVA app for your phone that tells you everything you need to know about all the TVA lakes (Guntersville, Chick, etc).
    These is one called Smart Lakes for the Coosa River chain (Weiss, Logan Martin, etc.)

Research well. You don't want to do this more than once.

10. Member
    Consider the Shoals area in NW AL. Lots of choices for fishing. Pickwick, Wilson, Wheeler, BCDA LAKES (4), plus short drives to Guntersville and Bay Springs, MS. Hard to beat this area for outdoor opportunities. Very nice areas in Lauderdale and Colbert counties.

11. Member
    It your going to fish several lakes then choose Athens or Decatur because they are the most central to all the lakes. If your going to pick one lake to live on and fish it 90+% of the time pick Pickwick!

12. Member
    Thank you everyone for the info!
    2015 EXCEL 1860 SIDE STALKER WITH HUNT DECK CAMO
    2015 Mercury 90 HP FOURSTROKE
    CMC MANUAL JACK PLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST
    LOWRANCE HDS12 CARBON
    LOWRANCE HDS9 CARBON

13. Member
    Thank you everyone for all the great advice. I will be in northern Alabama next week looking at some homes. If anyone is going out fishing one day next week and has room in their boat I sure would appreciate a little time on the water and would make it worth their time.
    CMC MANUAL JACK PLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST
    LOWRANCE HDS12 CARBON
    LOWRANCE HDS9 CARBON

14. Member
    Best wishes in your search Tom. Don't forget to seek the leadership of your Creator, but I knew you would do that. ✝🛐🙏😇
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

15. Member
    We have a place off 79 between Scottsboro and Guntersville. We live in Huntsville, but will retire to the lake. Come on down.
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

Not meaning to derail the thread but what considerations should one be aware of regarding the winter draw-downs?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Not meaning to derail the thread but what considerations should one be aware of regarding the winter draw-downs?
    Most of the major lakes are subject to varying stages of draw downs during the fall and winter to allow for spring rains and inflow. If you purchase a lakeside home in June, it may be "high and dry" in January. Do your homework and make sure you know what you are buying.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    some of the boat ramps are useless and, if he was going to buy a place on the lake, the draw down can effect where your boat stays.

Thanks fellas
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

20. Member
    Thanks Gary will do.
    CMC MANUAL JACK PLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST
    LOWRANCE HDS12 CARBON
    LOWRANCE HDS9 CARBON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast