Thread: Big Thanks!

Big Thanks!

A big thanks to 2 commercial fisherman from Aurora, Ky. who towed me in Thursday am. It was a father/son duo who helped out this stranded fisherman on Barkley this past Thursday after my trim went out on my Stratos. I was fishing south of Donaldson Bay and had launched at the Devils Elbow ramp. Probably about 6 miles from launch when my down trim relay went out and left me in a lurch. I was fishing ultra shallow, so motor was trimmed almost all the way up and wouldn't go down. They towed me in after I flagged them down and I will definitely pay it forward. I'm sorry I didn't get their name. I am very thankful, if anyone fished Thursday they know how windy it was and the waves were bad. I was able to use the manual trim screw to let the motor down once I got to the trailer and take her home. Ended up being an easy fix. Thanks so much to those guys!

Most boat motors have a separate trim relay for up and down. In a pinch you can you can switch them around to get the motor to go which ever way you need it to go. Now there is a few motors that have whats called a trim relay module and they have the up and down built into one module. In the instance up or down goes out you have to replace the entire module because up and down are both contained inside the unit and there is now way to switch around the relays. Again not many have that set up. Most have an individual up and down relay. They are not that expensive so some people just carry a spare....but as I said in a pinch you can switch them around.

Oh and two thumbs up to whomever gave you the tow ....

3. Member
    My motor has two trim relays (up and down) I found out later I could have switched them, put them back down and trimmed down then. I bought two new relays($25.00 each) and installed them. I kept the good one as a spare. I couldn't switch them anyway on the water because of wind/waves. I know better now!

4. Member
    Or you could have loosened the screw on the side of the motor mount and lowered the motor manually.

5. Member
    Jerry, I actually had to replace that relay module last Friday on my rig. My hydraulic jack plate would go up but not down. I have an atlas and was Abe to pull snap terminals away from bad relay & and touch them to battery post to diagnose it was the relay for sure..

6. Member
    Swapping the relays wasn't much of a problem once I got to the launch ramp. Hard to do when windy and wavy though. A $50.00 fix thank goodness. Also I am not mechanically inclined either!