Thumbs Up Warming up in Stoddard

Island Pond was 56-57 today, including the inlet, so I expect the bottom half of Highland to be the same. Cruised some shallows - didn't see any signs of bed making or gamefish. There were some big schools of small bait in 12" over mud bottoms - too small to be the Goldens that are in there. They were getting busted a little bit, appeared to be small pickerel (did get the frog yanked under:). Picked up a couple females w/ a jig on steep banks near 14', bigger one was a 3-9 LM. No signs of belly rubbing yet. Pulled a couple bucks of a beaver lodge with a spinnerbait, and that was it for the remaining couple of hours. Couldn't get any love on either of two different depth jerkbaits, a RK55, or a TX craw. Really thought the smallies would be fired up?? Hope someone tears them up this weekend! Looking like a kayak day @ Todd tomorrow.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

2. Moderator
    Those are good jerkbait temps. Must have been just an off day.

Nice report
    I haven't been there in a few years. Always liked fishing that place.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

4. Member
    2 weekends ago when I was up there to camp I came across the biggest school of goldens all 6"+ that I have ever seen. The school was twice the size of my boat. A few of those a day and a big fish is stuffed....

5. Member
    That would account for the slow action:P I bet they were spawning. About the same date, I saw a giant school in the backwater above/across from the Powdermill launch - many hundreds of them!