Can't get trailer to release from hitch ball?

I guess there is a 1st time for everything. 2003 Ranger dual axle trailer. Came home from fishing, backed into garage and coupler won't release? Backed it up, hit breaks, pulled forward, hit breaks nothing. Trailer has a folding tounge and I needed to fold to close garage door so I eventually pull hitch pin. Tounge is folded with my hitch and ball still attached, any ideas how to get it to release? Thanks.

With the hitch still attached to your truck use the trailer jack to raise the tongue until you know it's high enough to be off the ball. Step up on the bumper and bounce up and down. If that don't work put a caulk block in front of the trailer tires and pull forward a bit and then put in neutral unbrake and then part. Then repeat step one if it hasn't come off already.
    After all that, GREASE YOUR BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Maybe the nut that adjusts the fork under the ball is a little too tight.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    I could not get button on coupler to budge. Both sides of the paw, I think that's what it's called, are securely around the ball. I will rehitch and try a few things this morning.

5. Member
    Check your ball on your mount. I have one that I don’t use, because the base has a base that has corners, six sides, that keep the trailer lock from releasing when you raise the release lever to crank it up. If I use it, I have to use a crowbar at the hitchball , tongue contact point to pop it loose. Good luck

6. Member
    I freed it underneath with a flat head screwdriver. There is a large spring that appears to put tension on the lock/release button and mine seems to be dislodged as it moves freely back and forth. I am thinking without the tension lock button stays locked. Ball looks to be in good shape and emergency break cable is intact also.

7. Member
    make sure trailer is level. if not level chock front trailer wheels. pullforward a few inches until hitch is extended. remove all trailer connections, pull out hitch pin, raise locking lever. operate trailer jack until you feel it getting in a bind.. usuall 6 to 8 inches. simply back tow vehicle and trailer will release from ball

Is this a new combination or have you pulled this trailer with this truck before ? There's 2 heights of trailer balls, and some with a hexagonal base and some with a round smooth base. If you have the hexagonal base, try one with a smooth base. Also, check the height of different ball hitches and get the one that is taller.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents