New to the Suzuki Family

Last Friday I picked up my new boat- a 2020 Xpress X18 with a Suzuki DF140A. Choosing a Suzuki is a bit out of the box for an Xpress, but I chose the Suzuki for a few reasons: The HP/weight ratio (the DF140A is only ~15lbs heavier than a 115SHO, and ~85lbs less than a 150SHO), reputed reliability, and gas mileage. With only 5 hours on the motor, performance with the initial set-up is impressive! It's rigged with a Solas Titan HR3 23p, and 4" ptp. With just me in the boat its running 50.8mph at 6200rpm, hole shot is good, gas mileage is fantastic compared to my old carbed Yammie 115, and handling is great . After break-in I intend to play with different props and set-up, but honestly, the way it rides I'd be quite content with it just the way it is.

2. Member
    Nice! Welcome to this happy family!

The 140A is one very smooth, quiet and economical motor. Quite a few friends here in Australia have them on their offshore boats and all have been and are very pleased with them. Solid and with no common “problems or issues” that I know of.

Just remember to shut it off before pulling the boat out of the water LOL!

Note: dont run the engine if flushing thru the flushing hose attachment. Run only on muffs or in a barrel of water, cav plate well submerged. Small round very soft muffs, put on from the prop end, work the best for them.

Yours sounds like it is propped so close to perfectly, I don't think you will gain anything significant by changing.

Enjoy!

3. Banned
    you'll love your Suzuki! I have the exact motor. Sounds like you are getting good performance out of that Solas prop. You may be able to tweak a couple more mile-per-hour out of it with a different prop, in my opinion. I am running a 23 pitch 3 blade stainless steel on my Suzuki 140, but it is on a 19 and a half foot polarkraft 195. My top end, after break in, with me alone with a medium load is around 52 GPS , at about 6,200 rpms. With the express 18-foot, which is definitely a faster hull than my polarkraft, you should be getting a little better speed in my opinion. you may get a little more top end after breakin though.
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 05-16-2020 at 09:52 AM.

4. Member
    Thanks for encouragement guys!
    Moonlighter, I wondered what you meant when you said turn off the motor when pulling out of the water... Huh? Then I left the motor on when I stopped to fish!!!

Great motors indeed! I’ve been running mine now for 5 years, and other than oil/filter changes, fuel filter changes, lower unit oil and one time a spark plug change, I’ve not had to do a single thing to mine. Runs like a champ, strong bottom end and mid range power, and sips the fuel. Best motor I’ve ever ran.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova