How do I tell if it's FC or Copolymer line?

Got my new ALX "Deputy" and decided to switch some reels around. One reel, I knew what was on it, but not the other. Could be FC or Copolymer. If it was FC, I didn't want to just put it in the recycling bag, so I figured out how to wind it off and onto an empty spool using my Makita drill. That worked great, but I don't know what the stuff is. Both reels were full, indicating that they've not been used much, if any. And yes, I'm being cheap!

Has anybody devised a foolproof way to tell if it's FC or Copolymer? I'm pretty sure it's 10 lb test, and I put the micrometer on both. One was .0110" and the other .0105". I don't really think the .0005" is something I can trust to say that both are the same (FC). Anybody tried seeing if they can take a sample of FC and say for sure that it sinks, while a similar length sample of Copolymer (for certain) floats? I'm thinking surface tension might make that test invalid. If it does work, would I drop both onto the surface and wait, or would I weight one end of each sample and see if the free end sinks or floats?

Any other ideas, short of something scientific, like spectrum analysis or chemical analysis? The first half of the word "analysis" makes me nervous!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

2. Member
    What I have noticed is when using big nail clippers as line cutters, when cutting flourocarbon you will get a very distinct snap when it cuts. Like the line is a lot harder. Don't notice this with mono or copolymer.

The only idea I have is to stretch it until it breaks. If it's rough on either side of the break, it's fluoro. If it's not, it's either mono or copoly. Even then it's not foolproof as some copoly lines have fluoro incorporated into them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    Put it underwater. If it doesn't disappear, it's not fluorocarbon.

5. Banned
    You can still see fluro underwater especially if its used just not as much if its super stretchy its mono by pulling on both lines you can tell a clear difference

6. Member
    Burn the end of the line. If it turns black it's fluorocarbon. Carbon burns black and you we will see a flame. If it melts or keeps burning it mono.

7. Member
    Interested also

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickworm420 View Post
    You can still see fluro underwater especially if its used just not as much if its super stretchy its mono by pulling on both lines you can tell a clear difference
    this. Florocarbon doesn’t magically disappear in water, it refracts the light as the same wavelength as water so it becomes harder to see. If you really want to know which is what, pull on the line. Whatever stretches more is copoly
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member

Great information, FrankTank009!!! That'll give me a valid test...which I will try with both types. Anybody got a match?
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickworm420 View Post
    It was a joke.

12. Banned
    If you can’t tell the fish probably can’t either.

13. Member
    If you can't tell, and think it matters, throw it away, and buy what you want.

I'm inclined to agree with jbrew.