Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2017 Triton 179 TRX hole shot

Just picked up a new-to-me 2017 Triton 179TRX with a 2016 Mercury 115 4 stroke PRO XS command thrust. It is spinning a 24P Tempest prop with all 4 PVS holes open. With 2 people, it is very slow out of the hole (haven't timed it yet) and at WOT trimmed up my tach is showing only about 5300 RPM - about 46 MPH. I'm not a tournament guy so the performance isn't TOO big of a concern, but I understand the command thrust Merc is supposed to WOT closer to 6300rpm? Any suggestions? I was planning to get a new prop anyways and retire this one as a spare as it does have a couple nicks on it. I will try to get it out again and pay more attention to the details and update this post. As a side note, there is some slight vibration throughout the boat while it seems to be struggling to get out of the hole, this is my first bass boat not sure if this is normal or not...

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    First I would contact the owner and see if that is the way the boat has always been. Second I would have the engine looked at to make sure it’s running right on all cylinders. Then, it’s prop and prop to pad time. You may need a 21 or 23 pitch, 4 blade, etc.

You have to know the engine is working right first then go from there.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    That seems like WAAAAYYYYY too much pitch. That's like a 200hp prop if I am thinking right. 150's are turning 21s and 22s.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    That seems like WAAAAYYYYY too much pitch. That's like a 200hp prop if I am thinking right. 150's are turning 21s and 22s.
    Agreed. My similar spec Triton 18 Explorer with a 115 two stroke, never could have turned that prop. I got the most enjoyment out of my boat with a 19p LaserII. The boat leaped out of the hole but topped out around 45mph. Most owners of that boat settled on a 20P Laser II for a little more top end.

5. Member
    After spending some more time with it today solo, I was able to approach 6100rpm after trimming up more. So I think I'm within a reasonable RPM range. I was slowly bumping the trim up at WOT and gaining speed past around 53 on the GPS when it started chine walking a bit so I backed off, not sure if it was because of the speed or trimming up too far? I'd be very content cruising at 50 with some more hole shot...what do you guys think? The hole shot is tolerable by myself, terrible with 2 people and I haven't even filled the livewells yet.
    Last edited by grajoy; 05-15-2020 at 09:51 PM.

6. Member
    I finished Kentucky Lake with my 18 Explorer. I was concerned if I was overpropped i would have difficulty controlling the boat in rough water. I was looking for quick response.

7. Member
    You need to out solid plugs in them bent holes and start there for hole shot.

8. Member
    I have a yamaha f150 4 stroke turning a 21 tempest plus. Thats crazy your spinning a 24!

9. Member
    The TrX 179 I had ran good with a 19p 4 blade trophy. It wasn't a command thrust. It would hole shot good and 49 mph high end. It would lift the bow up effortless with trim. I think a 24p is your problem.

10. Member
    I wouldn't prejudge the pitch until I knew the lower unit gear ratio. Sometimes the smaller motors have a much different ratio. Listed ratio is 2.1:1, with a 2.4:1 option.

11. Member
    That motor has a command thrust lower with 2.38 gears and will never be fast. You may want to try a 23" tempest if you want to get the rpm's up any higher.

12. Member
    I have the same boat with the same motor I have a jack plate on mine, you Will NEVER have a hole shot with a 24 tempest unless your live wells are empty and you weigh 100 lbs. I run a worked laser 2 it’s 22 pitch and it does fine but if you add another person and have livewells full it ain’t happening I am 200lbs I had a West Point offensive tackle at 285 lbs and half full livewells it sucked and it’s not even summer yet. I also run a trophy plus 19 on my boat it’s by far night and day I can still run 49 and some change and the hole shot is great with the 4 blade the laser 2 is a little faster at 51, the command thrust is still no where near a 150 and you are fooling yourself if you think you can get anywhere near 6000 rpm,s and a hole shot with a 24 tempest I bet someone would trade you a 21 tempest for a 24 I bet the 21 would be perfect

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eds triton View Post
    I have the same boat with the same motor I have a jack plate on mine, you Will NEVER have a hole shot with a 24 tempest unless your live wells are empty and you weigh 100 lbs. I run a worked laser 2 it’s 22 pitch and it does fine but if you add another person and have livewells full it ain’t happening I am 200lbs I had a West Point offensive tackle at 285 lbs and half full livewells it sucked and it’s not even summer yet. I also run a trophy plus 19 on my boat it’s by far night and day I can still run 49 and some change and the hole shot is great with the 4 blade the laser 2 is a little faster at 51, the command thrust is still no where near a 150 and you are fooling yourself if you think you can get anywhere near 6000 rpm,s and a hole shot with a 24 tempest I bet someone would trade you a 21 tempest for a 24 I bet the 21 would be perfect
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I might take a look at that Trophy Plus 19, sounds like a pretty good fit for what I'm looking for

14. Member
    EDIT
    Last edited by csurp; 05-26-2020 at 09:10 AM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eds triton View Post
    Was your motor the command thrust? Just received the Trophy Plus 19 because I liked the sound of a 4 blade but doing some more research might already be feeling buyers remorse...sounds like it would be a good prop for the NON-command thrust? Haven't tried it out yet, if I made a mistake here I'd like to try to return it unused...
    Last edited by grajoy; 06-12-2020 at 02:30 PM.

16. Member
    That 19" trophy won't gain you anything but rpm's, a 21" tempest is what you need it will get your rpm's up to 6000+ and gain you a little speed.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    That 19" trophy won't gain you anything but rpm's, a 21" tempest is what you need it will get your rpm's up to 6000+ and gain you a little speed.
    Thanks for the input, I am tending to agree with your assessment. Fortunately the dealer is going to allow me to exchange the Trophy and I will go with a 21 Tempest.

18. Member
    I have the same rig, 179 TRX with 115 Pro XS with CT but it is a 2020 model. I am having the same struggle as you with holeshot. I found my tach was reading about 400- 500 rpms high at wide open throttle by using Vessel View Mobile. I do have a 8" jack plate which i think it too large. I've moved it from 2.5" below pad to 4.5" below pad. I also have a water pressure gauge and no matter where I've put my motor the water pressure has been over 22 lbs or more at wot. A 24P Tempest Plus is what is recommended by Triton according to dealer because the hull weight is about 1200 lbs and the CT gears are 2.38:1 but based on my testing I think either a 22P or 23P would provide a better holeshot with the motor mounted in the 3 hole to the transom or a much smaller jack plate. Keep as much weight out of the front compartments as possible. I also have an Ultrex which isn't helping either. If you figure anything out, please post. good Luck and enjoy the boat!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark4386 View Post
    I have the same rig, 179 TRX with 115 Pro XS with CT but it is a 2020 model. I am having the same struggle as you with holeshot. I found my tach was reading about 400- 500 rpms high at wide open throttle by using Vessel View Mobile. I do have a 8" jack plate which i think it too large. I've moved it from 2.5" below pad to 4.5" below pad. I also have a water pressure gauge and no matter where I've put my motor the water pressure has been over 22 lbs or more at wot. A 24P Tempest Plus is what is recommended by Triton according to dealer because the hull weight is about 1200 lbs and the CT gears are 2.38:1 but based on my testing I think either a 22P or 23P would provide a better holeshot with the motor mounted in the 3 hole to the transom or a much smaller jack plate. Keep as much weight out of the front compartments as possible. I also have an Ultrex which isn't helping either. If you figure anything out, please post. good Luck and enjoy the boat!

I should have the new prop early next week will definitely let you know what I find. I’m definitely running lighter with just a MK Edge on the bow and I rarely fill my livewells. That is concerning though about your tach being off, I don’t have the Vessel View mobile. Just hoping mine is accurate and this prop is the one!

20. Member
    You fooling yourself if you think anything over a 21 pitch will give you a decent hole shot loaded with livewells and full tank of gas I am 225 lbs and I put someone 285 lbs a half tank of gas and about 8 inches of water in the livewells the hole shot for a better set of words sucked on my TRX 179 I run a 6 inch plate with the 115 with command stroke and a worked 22 pitch Laser 2. I can run a 19 pitch trophy plus and it’s great fully loaded but speed is about 47 and still run up to the rev limiter. I bought a 21 Pitch trophy plus I am thinking this will be the perfect combination, I have spoke with someone that runs a 21 pitch spitfire he has had excellent results 50 mph loaded fairly heavy and a decent hole shot and it’s not even the Command stroke it’s the 2 stroke 115 XS. Once water temp gets up and you have 2 people say 400lbs maybe 250 lbs of water if livewells are full at 8.3 pounds per gallon and another 160 lbs of gas at 6.3 lbs per gallon plus tackle it’s a lot of weight 21 tempest may be OK but you probably won’t have a great hole shot but should be manageable. I will run mine Saturday and let y’all know the water temp is already 89 deg so I am sure this will have some effect on performance we will see.
    Last edited by eds triton; 06-18-2020 at 10:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast