225 vmax fell on its face

Went to Guntersville yesterday planning on fishing two days. I have an2003 ox66 225. I ran up lake about six miles stopping and starting a couple of times. Motor ran great! Started up to move a few hundred yards and it didn’t want to get on plane just bogged down. Finally it did and after about thirty seconds it shut down completely. When I turn the key to start just a clunk but it won’t spin. My fear is motor locked up. Does anybody have any ideas? If the power head is done how much for a reman or rebuild?

2. Member
    A piston could be locked up. Pull the plugs and look. If a piston came apart it will be pretty obvious. I think you are looking at about 5-7K for a rebuild or remanufactured block if needed. It could also be the lower unit is locked up.

3. Member
    Well after talking to Chris Carson I pulled the plugs and they looked good. Pulled the lower unit and it started right up so now looking for a lower unit. Has anybody had experience with Remanufactured ( from who) or aftermarket lower units?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wtailhunter57 View Post
    Well after talking to Chris Carson I pulled the plugs and they looked good. Pulled the lower unit and it started right up so now looking for a lower unit. Has anybody had experience with Remanufactured ( from who) or aftermarket lower units?
    Lots of bad reviews on SEI lower units. When mine went out I just bit the bullet and got an OEM. There are other companies that rebuild/remanufacture these.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    Lots of bad reviews on SEI lower units. When mine went out I just bit the bullet and got an OEM. There are other companies that rebuild/remanufacture these.
    I know dealers around here buy reman from OBR. I found a couple of companies on the Internet that sell OBR stuff. Quality Sterndrive and Crowley. Has anyone done business with them? The first one has the best prices but I can’t find much about them. I know I don’t want Chinese stuff so SEI is out. It seems they are good or bad. If you are lucky you get a good one.

6. Member
    If the gear case is rebuildable and not cracked can you get it rebuilt. Rebuilt is about $2,200.
    DON'T get an SEI. Aside from the mediocre case the performance will not be the same. You might get a cheaper price for an Sei but it will not last as long as a rebuilt one by a good shop.....

I know dealers around here buy reman from OBR. I found a couple of companies on the Internet that sell OBR stuff. Quality Sterndrive and Crowley. Has anyone done business with them? The first one has the best prices but I can’t find much about them. I know I don’t want Chinese stuff so SEI is out. It seems they are good or bad. If you are lucky you get a good one.
    I wouldn’t buy shite from OBR. That’s all I’ll say about that. Just find a used OEM LU.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLAB View Post
    I wouldn’t buy shite from OBR. That’s all I’ll say about that. Just find a used OEM LU.
    Bad experience?

9. Member
    I think I paid $3,500 for the OEM and have had no issues. Insurance picked up part of that as fishing line had compromised the main seal. It was behind the thrust washer and never saw it.

10. Member
    I got my gear case in today and was planning on installing it so I could test it tomorrow. The water pump must have been shipped separately usps because I didn’t get it. Hopefully it will come in Tuesday. If I round have known I would have picked up a kit at the dealership while so was getting oil. Oh well I guess I can find something else to go Rhine I wate.

Bad experience?
    uh yea....1 year warranty, the parts last just over 1 year......gave them an honest try 2 times.....NEVER AGAIN. Send it to Hydrotec or buy a stock used

12. Member
    Did you find a lower ?