Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

21 Caymas vs 21 Phoenix PHX (IMO)

For the record-I own a Phoenix-

I went and looked at a Caymas yesterday at a Dealership in Florida. Beautiful Boat. It is a Boat that would make anyone proud to own. The Hull on both Boats seem to be very close to the same, (I did not ride in the Caymas), I was told by the Dealer that the Caymas is a Heavier boat--(Good or bad, I don't know?) The storage compartments seemed shallower in the Caymas than the Phoenix, up on the bow. The rear compartments on the Caymas are Huge!! I did not see any locks on the latches for the Rod holders on the Caymas. I like the Latches on the Phoenix better than the Caymas, as you can just open and shut by a pull. The Caymas has adjustable Seats going back or forward. I did like the Console on the Caymas better than the Phoenix, as it is completely accessible from underneath. The trailer that the Caymas was on is a C channel, (U channel for those in the steel industry), which I do like better, than the tube type. The seats to me seemed to be the same as far as comfort goes. The rear access for pumps and such is a little better on the Caymas than the Phoenix. The Battery shutoff switches location is definitely better on the Caymas. The Deck 's, Front and Back size seemed to be about the same. I was told by the Dealer that there is no better riding boat out there, (I don't know how much of a better ride you can have over a Phoenix, more than likely about the same). Neither boat has a Pad on the bottom. Fish ability, to me seems the same. Price wise for us that don't fish in the FWL, or Tournaments, is about the same.

I would say if you are looking at either one to buy, have fun in deciding and good luck!! This is just my opinion, not bashing any Boat, as they are both great boats!!

You have a disease or bad habit... Not sure what to call it..

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Moderator
    Sounds like both...

4. Member
    I just sold my Phoenix and ordered a 21 cx pro, I came out of a 721 Phoenix though so the deck in the caymas will be greatly bigger to me

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    You have a disease or bad habit... Not sure what to call it..
    That is what my wife said!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post

I went and looked at a Caymas yesterday at a Dealership in Florida. Beautiful Boat. It is a Boat that would make anyone proud to own. The Hull on both Boats seem to be very close to the same, (I did not ride in the Caymas), I was told by the Dealer that the Caymas is a Heavier boat--(Good or bad, I don't know?) The storage compartments seemed shallower in the Caymas than the Phoenix, up on the bow. The rear compartments on the Caymas are Huge!! I did not see any locks on the latches for the Rod holders on the Caymas. I like the Latches on the Phoenix better than the Caymas, as you can just open and shut by a pull. The Caymas has adjustable Seats going back or forward. I did like the Console on the Caymas better than the Phoenix, as it is completely accessible from underneath. The trailer that the Caymas was on is a C channel, (U channel for those in the steel industry), which I do like better, than the tube type. The seats to me seemed to be the same as far as comfort goes. The rear access for pumps and such is a little better on the Caymas than the Phoenix. The Battery shutoff switches location is definitely better on the Caymas. The Deck 's, Front and Back size seemed to be about the same. I was told by the Dealer that there is no better riding boat out there, (I don't know how much of a better ride you can have over a Phoenix, more than likely about the same). Neither boat has a Pad on the bottom. Fish ability, to me seems the same. Price wise for us that don't fish in the FWL, or Tournaments, is about the same.

I would say if you are looking at either one to buy, have fun in deciding and good luck!! This is just my opinion, not bashing any Boat, as they are both great boats!!
    Just curious, which dealer were you at. I work at Miller's Boating Center in Ocala and we are a Caymus dealer.
    Brad Krone

Prior to purchasing my current boat I visited the Phoenix factory. I'm not a fan of spending over $70k for a cheap plastic dash.
    I also climbed all over a new Caymus at a dealership. It just looked cheaply made, a Triton/Skeeter knockoff. Just my opinion.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    Prior to purchasing my current boat I visited the Phoenix factory. I'm not a fan of spending over $70k for a cheap plastic dash.
    I also climbed all over a new Caymus at a dealership. It just looked cheaply made, a Triton/Skeeter knockoff. Just my opinion.
    That plastic dash is the one thing I didn't understand about phoenix since they are so nice everywhere else.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    That plastic dash is the one thing I didn't understand about phoenix since they are so nice everywhere else.
    last I checked all vehicles have plastic dashes, mirrors, you name it. With that being said I’ve owned both a fiberglass console and different boats with plastic molded dash, to me it don’t matter. I will say being I’ve owned a Phoenix and now buying a caymas I can definitely see more quality into the caymas as far as the little things like push button dash, protection where all the locker latches meet the fiberglass. Access doors to get the pumps. Completely padded deck not just the front triangle, my first choice when I sold my Phoenix was going to be a 921 elite, but when I called a few dealers and put the options that o wanted on it that boat was over 80k I called about the caymas with same options and actually a few more and I’m 10k cheaper so to me money talked.

10. Member
    My dealer is selling Caymas now. Very nice boat from what I’ve seen at their lot. For me the the big consideration is which one will be around years from now. Not saying it will happen but it did happen to Legend, stratos, Champion and others.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    My dealer is selling Caymas now. Very nice boat from what I’ve seen at their lot. For me the the big consideration is which one will be around years from now. Not saying it will happen but it did happen to Legend, stratos, Champion and others.
    Yeah and what’s the difference between that and say jm cutting triton? I bought a 2017 stratos 201 the year that he cut the line I had no problem selling the boat or getting parts for it

12. Member
    One other thing that tells me something is look at the contingency program earl Benz is putting out for tournaments , it’s one of the best with very high payouts I think he is planning on sticking around for a while. What I’ve heard is he is on a mission because of previous deals that went bad.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post

bottom of a caymas hull when i was at the caymas plant
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    bottom of a caymas hull when i was at the caymas plant
    What about it?

15. Member
    The op discussed the caymas boat hull/bottom. I just happen to have a photo for those who hadn't seen one.

16. Member
    I'm not all that familiar with the big Bird. I have crawled all over the new 21 Caymas and Vexus on the same day. If you think the Caymas is nice look at the big Vexus. I only worry about the paint on the Vexus, but man was it nice and had a lot more freeboard than most any bass boat I've seen out there. Im not sure if Cats Jag is any bigger? Likely the old Ranger D boat would be the only one I know bigger. I did not get to ride in them, just talked to a nice dealer that explained both boats.

17. Member
    Earl Bentz has sold every boat company he has started. Just something to think about, if you are asking which will be around long term.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbad View Post
    Earl Bentz has sold every boat company he has started. Just something to think about, if you are asking which will be around long term.
    Unfortunately you are 100% correct with that statement. Hopefully this time he keeps Caymus under his control. He makes one hell of a boat.
    Brad Krone

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbad View Post

Triton was the only one he started. He worked for OMC making Javelin and Stratos. So he has only sold one, Triton.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Triton was the only one he started. He worked for OMC making Javelin and Stratos. So he has only sold one, Triton.
    Nope, he started Stratos also.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast