Question RT188 Fuel Problem

Hey y'all. I have a 2014 RT188. Went to the gas station to purchase some pure gas and when I opened cap, still some fuel sitting in filler tube. Was only able to put half a gallon in. Tank is less than half full. Also when I returned home, opened gas cap and makes a constant whirl type sound. Could the filter or check valve be clogged up, or something in line? I usually fill from 5 gallon cans at home, but haven't lost a cap or anything. Was gonna pull that apart this weekend, but was wondering had anybody else experience this type of problem. Engine is getting fuel fine, had it on lake all afternoon.

thanks,
    Steve

2014 Ranger RT188
    115 Merc 4s, laser II 20p
    humminbirds

I'm thinking the vent might be clogged.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

It has a filter on the fill tube. It has some clamps on it. Undo it and check it. I drained my tank recently and it was easier to take the tube lose at the tank. It is on tight but it will come off. Mine has had the paper gasket that was on the cap of the fuel additive in it for years.

What part would be the vent?

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

That's was my plan, take it apart and check it. If that filter is clogged any idea of where to find that one ?

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

There is a check valve in the line that I had to replace on my RT but it was because the plastic housing was cracked and it was leaking gas into the bilge. It is a pretty simple device and it seems unlikely that it would freeze up. The tank vents through a hose that is routed back to the filler cap. (You can see it in the pic, behind the filler tube). If for some reason, gas was venting back through that line, it might collect under the cap and drain into the filler tube. Something to check.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Definitely something I'll check. Problem was the fact it really wouldn't let any gas down into tank. Pumped half a gallon and had to do that very slowly so it didn't overflow.
    If for some reason I needed to replace that check valve, where did you buy it and do you have a part # or anything?

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

I was able to put the last couple of gallons of gas from one of my 5 gallon jugs into boat, but had to pour it slow or it would over fill. Drained into tank slowly. Haven't got out there to pull it apart yet, but did not get the normal release of pressure when I opened the cap. Is this because it hasn't been run, or was just opened yesterday? Just wondering if that points to anything?
    That vent tube runs to the
    vent on top of tank ?
    Thanks for any help given.
    Steve
    Last edited by fishinSteve; 05-15-2020 at 01:20 PM.

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

ok, that check valve is clear and opens easily.
    How would you check vent tube?
    Last edited by fishinSteve; 05-15-2020 at 04:50 PM.

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

Well.....put back together. That vent hose was not kinked by any means but was smashed down beside tank. I freed it up. Added a little over a gallon of fuel and it didn't back up this time. Maybe just a fluke??
    As long as I can add gas and get on water I figure all is well.

Thanks Bill, Jeff, and Crankwv....

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

Hopefully that fixes it. Seems logical that as you fill the tank, the displaced air has to be vented so you could not fill the tank faster than it could vent.
    That being said, what changed? Why has it worked for 6 years and now it doesn’t?

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

I hope that solves your problem.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

good point, I haven't filled it at a gas station but a hand full of times. But it wasn't trying to over fill this afternoon and it was this morning from the jug so....crossing my fingers...

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

me too brother...

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Your vent tube needed to burp. You likely inadvertently poured some gas into it while pouring gas from a can. I did the same thing a month ago and it fixed itself. You can also easily disconnect the vent line at the top of the tank next time to clear it.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Your vent tube needed to burp. You likely inadvertently poured some gas into it while pouring gas from a can. I did the same thing a month ago and it fixed itself. You can also easily disconnect the vent line at the top of the tank next time to clear it.
    That's good to know about... I use cans a lot and if I had this problem, it would have taken me a bit to figure what happened. Thanks to everyone here for the tip.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Tcesni, Maybe so, i usually fill from jug. We happened to be passing an ethanol free fuel station and was low so figured I'd fill up. Only time I've ever had a problem. Maybe taking the filler tube off helped "burp" it or maybe it fixed itself,IDK. When I put it back together was able to pour a gallon in no problem. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I have this problem again.
    Last edited by fishinSteve; 05-17-2020 at 12:56 PM.

2014 Ranger RT188
    humminbirds