Mississippi smallies in early June

Noticed that the river levels for the Mississippi at St. Cloud were pretty normal if not a tad low. How would you patter the smallmouth in these conditions? Thank you

2. Member
    Really not much different than normal. The males will set up in Eddy's and slack water behind the islands. The females will make a casual visit to the males, then drop back to their summer habitat. It's good right now for numbers...

Enjoyed five full days on the Mississippi River. Fished from the just upstream of the Twin Cities to above Little Falls. Not sure if my mediocre catch was the result of low water, the presence of numerous drift boats guiding the same stretches that used to produce fish regularly, poor recruitment over the years or in some cases like above Little Falls, anglers ganging up on the big smallies in deep holes in the late fall.
    Over 20 plus years of fishing these waters, it seems pretty apparent this once great fishery has declined. Still fun but not nearly as productive.

4. Member
    People will always ruin something good. It's just a matter of time.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    Enjoyed five full days on the Mississippi River. Fished from the just upstream of the Twin Cities to above Little Falls. Not sure if my mediocre catch was the result of low water, the presence of numerous drift boats guiding the same stretches that used to produce fish regularly, poor recruitment over the years or in some cases like above Little Falls, anglers ganging up on the big smallies in deep holes in the late fall.
    Over 20 plus years of fishing these waters, it seems pretty apparent this once great fishery has declined. Still fun but not nearly as productive.
    Sorry, can't agree at all with your assessment. Electrofishing results tell quite the opposite. Fishing and sampling can be very different though.. I personally have caught more 17-19" and numerous 20"+ recently. Low water complicates things for most anglers. Fish tend to spread out throughout the entire channel rather than relegated to banks (when the river is high). If you contact the local fisheries office, you can get the reports. Just a bit of advice.

I hit the Mississippi north of the coon rapids dam and south of 169 almost daily. This year has been horrible. I just can't find the fish and its too shallow north of 169 for me to risk running my bass boat. I finally caught some fish on Sunday morning. I'm hopeful it gets better. Hawgin gives me hope in maybe I just need to get off my usual spots. Over the years I have a milk run I make in the morning. Hit my usual spots, catch some fish, and get off the river in time to get to work before most people wake up.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R