Thread: zx250 or zx225

zx250 or zx225

I'm looking at either a 2018 zx250 or a 2019 zx225 and was wondering some of the good and the bad on them. I'm in a Ranger 488 and have never been in a Skeeter, but really like there layout and the sho

2. Wren
    I went from 488 with 200 to a 2018 ZX225, love it is all I can say. 250 was nice but 225 checked all the boxes so I ordered no regrets.

3. Member
    If you have the room and budget then go bigger. Handles big water great and I still fish skinny and narrow waters. Docks are not a problem either
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO

4. Member
    Both are the same , difference more $$ zx250 . 25 more horsepower (more weight so it's needed) from consel to bow 1 foot more boat Love my zx225

Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    Both are the same , difference more $$ zx250 . 25 more horsepower (more weight so it's needed) from consel to bow 1 foot more boat Love my zx225
    There is 100lbs more weight between the two. Its a hard call. It would be hard not to go with the ZX250 if storage is not an issue.

6. Member
    Thanks guy's how do they ride pretty well in ruff water compared to the Ranger, is there any quirks to driving them or is it a mash the gas and go boat?

7. Member
    Been in some rough water with mine (zx225) wasn't as bad as my Ranger but added a hydrlic jack plate and made a big improvement

8. Member
    The ZX's are about the easiest boats out there to drive. Get comfortable with how your boat wants to be trimmed and let er go. After having my ZX250 for a little over a year, and fishing a little out of a buddies ZX225, I would have regretted buying a 225. Lots of happy 225 owners out there, but for me that extra foot is worth its weight in gold.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt 1 View Post
    Thanks guy's how do they ride pretty well in ruff water compared to the Ranger, is there any quirks to driving them or is it a mash the gas and go boat?
    I have not been in a Range but I will give you my experience in my ZX250. I previously owned a ZX190.
    The first thing I noticed was that it was a much softer ride than my ZX190. Over the same size wakes and wave it seems to plow better through a wave and come down soft on the other side.
    Once you get the hang of speed/trim and how you approach the waves you can take some pretty big water and not get beat up. A hydraulic jackplate will help in getting that lower unit down deeper for a better bite. I have a manual JP and left it at factory and it does fine.
    It will turn on a dime, a Skeeter hallmark. Handling is very good especially at high speed. It's a very stable boat. At 70 I can let go of the wheel, eat a sandwich, and enjoy the scenery and it tracks true. You don't have to "drive" it or worry about chine walking. Of course, if you want to run it on the ragged edge for max speed and ride on the last inch of pad it could get a little fun.

A word about speed....honest numbers: low altitude lakes (500 ft- sea level) 70 with partner, gas, full livewells. At our highland lakes (900 ft to 1400 ft) 67-68 with the same load. By myself 70-72. I'm sure I could get more but it's rare I could run that fast on our lakes with the wind and boat traffic.

With the trolling motor down it's easy to drive, sits pretty level and handles wakes and waves well. Maybe I have sea legs now but I'm comfortable fishing in almost any conditions. It is a 21' boat so docks can get tight but it will track fairly true backing up.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    thanks that's the kind of info I was looking for

11. Member
    I went from a 2001 ranger 518 to 2018 zx225.
    The skeeter feals alot bigger. Heavier, but obviously it rides better. I'm still getting used to the trim and the porpoising issue. Getting alot better. I have no regrets going with the zx225. It barely fits in my garage.
    J. Ochoa

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaime7818 View Post
    I went from a 2001 ranger 518 to 2018 zx225.
    The skeeter feals alot bigger. Heavier, but obviously it rides better. I'm still getting used to the trim and the porpoising issue. Getting alot better. I have no regrets going with the zx225. It barely fits in my garage.
    What size garage do you have? Mine is a right around 23' 7" long and I was thinking about a 225 but concerned about Skeeter website measurements being right. The shortest length with tongue folded and motor down is right around 23', not much room for error.

13. Member
    Are they pretty bad about porpoising?

14. Member
    My 2018 has no bad porpoising. Handled great on rough water. Just got back from Sturgeon Bay with 15mph NE winds
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO

15. Member
    Mine does not at any speed.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

16. Member
    Not if you trim it right.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

17. Member
    Bigger is always better for storage, deck space and ride
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

18. Member
    Do a search and you will find a lot of good advice about driving Skeeters so the porpoising is not an issue, I've posted in the past some detailed explanations. I don't know if the new FXR and ZXR hulls have the issue but my FX21 sure does. Some people from other boat brands sometimes want to make a big deal about it but it really isn't, it is just different. The Skeeter hull is very stable at WOT speeds. I think one of the consequences (not good or bad - just fact) is that at slower speeds you can't trim up like some other brands. I learned to start out with the engine tucked all the way under like any other bass boat but this is the key - don't trim up until the hull is on plane. Then start trimming as the rpms climb. My hull likes a lot of trim at high speed but not much trim as lower speeds. If you trim up as you get on plane like you do with most brands you will induce the Skeeter porpoise and once it starts it doesn't go away until you are running pretty fast. If you leave the engine trimmed down until you get up on plane then you can trim up for best speed / rpm and be fine. I proved this with my boat many time when I was learning. If I trimmed up during the holeshot and got the porpoise started the boat wouldn't run smooth on plane until a pretty high speed. If I waited to trim up until the hull was on plane I could trim a little and run on plane at a surprisingly low speed with no porpoise. I hope this helps explain at least what has worked for me. When you slow down and are going to come off plane you will need to be proactive and trim down before you come off plane or the porpoising will start as you come off of plane.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mknj671 View Post
    What size garage do you have? Mine is a right around 23' 7" long and I was thinking about a 225 but concerned about Skeeter website measurements being right. The shortest length with tongue folded and motor down is right around 23', not much room for error.
    my garage is 23’ 5” deep. I have an 18 ZX225 and put it in there with the motor down and tounge swung. I have about 2” on both ends to spare, it’s tight but fits. I back it in the garage till I’m about 2’ from the wall then move it by hand the rest of the way , it works just fine.

20. Member
    Does anyone know if the fxr or zxr's have the porposing issue? I thought the fxr hull fixed this issue