Question Mercury Beep Question and Oil

Hello all! Long story short:

Was on the lake yesterday and got a continuous beep from my outboard. Turned the key off and tried again and it continued. So I pulled it off the water and brought it home.

Today, I walked out to look at it and noticed a single drop or two of oil on the ground below it (I also took the hood off and looked, there was a light amount towards the bottom at the front of the lower cowling but nothing major at all more or less just a coating, I didn't see anything loose or not connected either)...not sure at all what's going on. I have an appointment set up with service center but they can't get me in until the 27th so I'm seeing if the professionals on here have some insight as to what I could be looking at.

Here's the breakdown on the outboard I'm referring to:

2003 Mercury 150 XR6 with a 2016 powerhead fully rebuilt by Mercury Tech, we also blocked the oil injection and I mix oil in the tank so I know it has oil.

Lower unit was also replaced in 2014.

Thanks for any help at all!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇
    Bass Pro Shops, Nitro Boats, Mercury, Kastking

Update! Here's some pictures I took today of the engine. It has not dripped anymore since yesterday when I looked at it. The pictures are of the front of the bottom of the lower cowling and the front of the air box. There is also a picture of the bottom right corner of the air box which seems to be decently wet with oil.
    IMG_20200515_093306894.jpg
    IMG_20200515_093535198.jpg
    IMG_20200515_093311437.jpg

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

3. Member
    You might get more responses if you post in the 2.0/2.4/2.5L forum that covers your engine, please include your engine serial number (required when posting) when you do.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Banned
    Hey Tyler.
    Just from my personal experience with my xr6, I can tell you the "low/no oil" alarm is activated by a float in the auxiliary oil tank mounted on the front of the motor. Theoretically,, if you run the main oil tank dry the auxiliary tank will provide a supply of oil sufficient to get you to your trailer or a fresh supply of oil at a marina on the lake. As the oil level in the aux. tank lowers, the float also lowers to a point where it makes a contact and sends the alarm. If you have removed the oil injection system completely, I don't know what is setting off your alarm. Not sure if this will help you "troubleshoot". Just fyi. Good luck.

5. Member
    The oil you see may be normal, the carbs will leak fuel out the front when tilted up, when the gas evaporates, it leaves only the oil behind. However it could be gas and oil is being spit out of the throttle bodies when running due to a broken reed. But not sure that would have anything to do with alarm. Is the beep a continuous beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep or a beepbeepbeepbeep? The first beep can also be overheating alarm.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

6. Member
    Continuous beep is overheat alarm. Intermintent beep is low oil. I have seen the electronics module that controls these alarms go bad and sound the alarm erroneously. If it is overheat, which is the continuous alarm, its safe to start it up on a garden hose for a few seconds at home once the engine has cooled back down. If the module sounds right away, or sounds just turning the key to ignition on its most likely a bad module.

When the alarm sounded, were you getting the pee stream?

Thanks all for the replies!!

To answer the questions, it is a continuous beep signifying an overheat alarm based on what was said above. Turns out I have a buddy that works at the local bass pro service department now and I asked him about the beep and told him the boat has been sitting for a couple months before I took it out. (which I don't even think I thought about mentioning on here for whatever reason, that was stupid) and he stated the impeller is probably the cause of the beeping since the oil tanks and all have been deleted and I am mixing in the tank.

Also, he stated regarding the oil that he thinks it is coming from the carbs from sitting and then being ran, as one of you mentioned above so that's good to hear!

As far as the peeing of the engine, when I first started out it was going (or so I thought I looked) but when I got the beep honestly...I got worried and didn't want to royally screw something up so I immediately brought it in and failed to look...stupid I know. I need to get some water at home and crank it before my service appointment and see what happens and go from there it sounds like.

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

8. Member
    Just remember that the pee stream comes from the thermostats and the motor has to warm up before it will pee. Normally 30 seconds to a few minutes depending on water temp the motor is in.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Member
    yup +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I actually never noticed it took a minute or so to start peeing honestly. I will try to get it hooked up to the water hose at the house and check that out and see what it does.

Thanks to all for the replies! I have confidence and faith that the oil I'm seeing is coming from the carb since what was said on here and since my buddy at bass pro backed that up as well. So that's good news! (and this is why I ask questions on here - yall are experts! lol)

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

11. Member
    if all the gaskets are in place you should not see any fuel /oil drip from front of mtr, if you are seeing pure oil leaking that needs to be addressed ASAP
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

If you would, Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor