Misfire , engine stalled now i have a crank no start

While i was idleing my 2004 225 opti SERIAL NUMBER 0T907156 i developed a chugging misfire, at first i thought i was fouling a plug i got the boat on plane for a bout 300 yards without a problem brought it back down to an idle and the misfire was no better maybe even worse. But now the idle was increasing on its own up to about 2500 rpm NO ALARMS , i got her back to the ramp tried to get it on the trailer now i have crank no start condition. I get the boat back in the barn pull the plugs and find no damage no shredded belts all the plugs look just o.k. cylinders 3 and 5 look a little fouled but not horrible. Compression on all the cylinders were 103 to 111 psi. I have had plugs go bad before this just didn't feel like a spark plug issue, anyone have any idea what would cause this to happen. I will be replacing the plugs today and continuing to trouble shoot , your input is appreciated. Someone suggested it could be a tacker diaphram, what is that ?
    Last edited by snakebitmark; 05-14-2020 at 07:47 AM.
    Mark

2004 ChampioN 206
    225 Mercury Opti

2. Member
    diaphragm in fuel rail needed for precise injection operation on an opti , located in stbd fuel rail ,known problem with optis, good luck someone
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    diaphragm in fuel rail needed for precise injection operation on an opti , located in stbd fuel rail ,known problem with optis, good luck someone
    I did look this up, but it seems that most complaints were a poor idle , but nothing about high idle at closed throttle
    Mark

2004 ChampioN 206
    225 Mercury Opti

Quote Originally Posted by snakebitmark View Post
    I did look this up, but it seems that most complaints were a poor idle , but nothing about high idle at closed throttle
    Common complaint as well
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Common complaint as well
    Really, i will do some more reasearch. I resolved the no start issue, when i ran the new transducer cables and removed the old ones i must have hit the switch in the channel, the problem finally showed up. I have spark and fuel just need to wait for the auto parts store to deliver the new spark plugs.

Thanks Leon and Joe.
    Mark

2004 ChampioN 206
    225 Mercury Opti

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitmark View Post
    But now the idle was increasing on its own up to about 2500 rpm NO ALARMS
    Classic indication of tracker valve failure just like Joe54 said, who btw, happens to be a highly regarded certified Mercury technician and is the "someone" who recommended it to you in the Mercury forum.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Classic indication of tracker valve failure just like Joe54 said, who btw, happens to be a highly regarded certified Mercury technician and is the "someone" who recommended it to you in the Mercury forum.
    Agree......100%!!!!!

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The high RPM's with no throttle input indicate that UN-METERED FUEL is getting into the engine.

IE: Coming from somewhere other than the intended path (through the injectors as demanded by the PCM).

Check the Air/Fuel Pressures with a DUAL PRESSURE, glycerin-dampened gauge set. Record results:

-At idle
    -Under Acceleration
    -5/10/15 seconds after shutdown (restart for each time period)

Results can assist in knowing areas to look at (such as tracker valve, FP Regulator, Compressor, Air Leaks, etc).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Agree......100%!!!!!
    I removed the tracker valve , and found multiple cracks on the fuel rail side of the valve and one nice pin hole or tear about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch going through the other side. I will post some pictures later. Now i need to wait till Monday and try to get it at a local supplier. I will post again when i finish the repair.
    Mark

2004 ChampioN 206
    225 Mercury Opti

10. Member
    20200516_165104.jpg20200516_165031.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Agree......100%!!!!!
    <br>
    <br>
    I removed the tracker valve , and found multiple cracks on the fuel rail side of the valve and one nice pin hole or tear about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch going through the other side. I will post some pictures later. Now i need to wait till Monday and try to get it at a local supplier. I will post again when i finish the repair.
    Mark

2004 ChampioN 206
    225 Mercury Opti

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    I'm grateful for all the help, good people on here.
    Mark

2004 ChampioN 206
    225 Mercury Opti

12. Member
    Yep, lots of good people here and I've learned a lot from several Don, Savage, Joe54, just to mention a few.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    UDATE... I replaced the tracker valve, and the engine runs great. She fired up on the hose with just a touch of the key. So a big thank you to all involed. Hope this will help others in the future that find themselves with similiar problems.
    Mark

2004 ChampioN 206
    225 Mercury Opti