Thread: Crazy Sunday.

Crazy Sunday.

Took my 203 up to Lake Powell to fish 3 days. Caught over 50 SM a day and several 3 pounds plus. Had an auto bilge pump installed before I left and also took a spare prop. Sunday a storm rolled in and the channel was like an ocean. 6 footers rolling 2 different directions. Speared a wave and filled the boat with water so I turned and ran back with the wind to a cove and set the spot lock on the Ultrex. Stripped down and put on some raingear. After an hour the wind changed again so we took off and hit only 3 footers. Boat started slowing down so I figured I either damaged the 250 Merc or had a spun hub. Found a cove with some sand and backed the boat in. changed the prop and all was good. Glad I had the spare prop and the new bilge pump. Scared the crud out of my buddy but we made it back in.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Scary stuff! Glad you are safe...and glad you were prepared!!!!!

3. Member
    So it sounds like you spun the hub ? Any idea how that happened ? Glad you made it back safe.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    My buddy hit something at Powell last year and we had to replace the LU so likely started the hub issue then. I think the big water and throttle up and down just got the job done.

5. Member
    I was on lake powell a few years ago on a tour boat. A storm rolled through and it got bad quick. I saw one boat capsize with 2 guys floating near the boat and a rescue boat going toward them. It's a beautiful lake. I'm glad you made it back safe.
    2005 Champion 206 Elite /Yamaha 250 SHO

Good to hear you are ok, Glen. It can be a challenge finding safe harbor up there in a big storm. Especially, if you get hit in the main channel near Wahweap. Had a buddy go down out there. He and his son were lucky to survive. I've been caught in more than one monsoon storm up there and I don't know what's worse, the rough water out in the open or the sandblasting you get if you try to duck behind the cover of an island or cove.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419