Thread: Chequamegon bay

Chequamegon bay

Any word on the smallie bite? Gonna fish there next week for the first time, concentrating on Sand/Kakagon. Launching at Second landing, other than not being a ramrod with the boat, any navigation hazards to be aware of?

2. Member
    Haven't heard about current conditions, and haven't been up there in a few years now, but don't cut it too close to Oak Point when running into Sand and keep an eye out for deadheads, even when running down the middle of "channels" in both Sand and Kak.

Make sure to keep an eye on the weather. Even though it's only a 5 mile run, the waves can get extremely big with the right wind, and you can be unaware of it when you're tucked up in Sand cut until you come out and make the turn. We've also had fog roll in so thick you could barely see the guy in the back of the boat.

Just use some common sense and don't take the safety part lightly (the same when fishing any big water) and you'll be fine. My buddy and I were just talking about Chequamegon about an hour ago. Man I miss it and need to get back up there!

Good luck and let us know how you do. I'm jealous!!!!

3. Member
    You might want to check with Ashland Chamber, last I heard and saw was that 2nd landing and all landings in Ashland are closed
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

4. Member
    report on lake-link today is that second landing is open

Fished last Tuesday and Thursday, mostly in Sand Cut. Tuesday water temps 52 up to 56, Thursday found 64F in the back of Sand Cut. Fishing was slow, got a couple good ones, but saw way more fish cruising around that wouldn't bite. By Thursday found some on beds in Kakagon but were skittish. IMG_0841 (2).JPGIMG_0844.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Anyone got any updates I’m thinking of heading up next weekend also does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pdcjohnson View Post
    Anyone got any updates I’m thinking of heading up next weekend also does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay thanks
    Crest Motel. Nice place with a perfect view of the coal-fired power plant on the bay.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.