Thread: Margay Prop

Margay Prop

What is everyone's thought on a Fury vs Tempest on a Margay?

The Margay does well with the newer 23 Fury to our knowledge.

3. Member
    Is there a best 4 blade choice? I have a 23 Trophy plus, but I can't ignore all the SL Four love I have read here. Bravo XS?

4. Member
    I settled on a tempest plus 24 pitch worked by Ronnie Gilbert. 150 pro xs 2 stoke. Two guys fully loaded 62-64mph.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapela View Post
    I settled on a tempest plus 24 pitch worked by Ronnie Gilbert. 150 pro xs 2 stoke. Two guys fully loaded 62-64mph.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

6. Member
    I always find the margay prop threads interesting. I do have a unique situation though. 2015 margay with 2002 Mercury 150 XR6. The 25 tempest was too small for me I was over revving. I tried a bunch of props and settled on a 23 solas scorpion. The pitch is different on the solas props. I can even run a 25 solas scorpion but it is slow getting on plane.

I would like to try a 27 tempest sometime.

7. Member
    Wow, I can't over rev a 23 Tempest Plus with a 2015 Pro XS.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommoorehouse View Post
    I always find the margay prop threads interesting. I do have a unique situation though. 2015 margay with 2002 Mercury 150 XR6. The 25 tempest was too small for me I was over revving. I tried a bunch of props and settled on a 23 solas scorpion. The pitch is different on the solas props. I can even run a 25 solas scorpion but it is slow getting on plane.

I would like to try a 27 tempest sometime.
    That sounds like an awful strong XR6. Are you hitting the limiter and getting an alarm or just going off the tach with no alarm?

9. Member
    I'm just going off the tach. I don't think I'm going any faster than other margays. When I break 60 the chine walk is too much for me. I've seen 63 but holy cow I nearly lost it. I don't know how fast it would go without chine walk.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommoorehouse View Post
    I'm just going off the tach. I don't think I'm going any faster than other margays. When I break 60 the chine walk is too much for me. I've seen 63 but holy cow I nearly lost it. I don't know how fast it would go without chine walk.
    I guess what I'm getting at is maybe you have a tach issue. In general I've been told a stock XR6 is going to run the best/strongest at like 5700 RPM, something about the port timing. HP drops off after that. Was told to set mine up to target 5700. I think the limiter on it is 5900 so if you're motor was really over revving you'd have heard an alarm. I've had a few boats with 150's (both Merc and Yammie) and typically a 25 tempest is going to be about the most prop you can run.

11. Member
    My margay did come from basscat with a 25 pitch tempest plus, again 150 pro xs 2 stroke. The 25 stock seems to lift better than the 24 but it is way down in the rpm range at wot and that worried me. Cold out though with one guy it's a screamer. My boat also has an ultrex and I noticed a big difference in how the boat lifts with that tm compared to the original 72lb motorguide. My buddies sabre has an ultrex plus a helix 10 up front and with 2 guy's and the 23 tempest plus stock on a 150 he has a hard time getting the bow to lift mid range. It is like it just wants to plow water. I think these 17,18fters are just not meant to have all that weight up front with todays tech on a 150hp motor.

12. Member
    Yeah that would be 70 at 6% slip and 67 at 10%.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I guess what I'm getting at is maybe you have a tach issue. In general I've been told a stock XR6 is going to run the best/strongest at like 5700 RPM, something about the port timing. HP drops off after that. Was told to set mine up to target 5700. I think the limiter on it is 5900 so if you're motor was really over revving you'd have heard an alarm. I've had a few boats with 150's (both Merc and Yammie) and typically a 25 tempest is going to be about the most prop you can run.
    Maybe, I didn't hear an alarm that I remember but the rpms were close to 6k if my memory serves me.

14. Member
    I just got a Margay with a 150 pro xs four stroke and it came with a 23 tempest plus. I need to go up in pitch though. I'm hitting max rpm and about 55 mph.

15. Member
    Something is not right. I can't seem to paste the screenshot here, but mine hits 60mph at 5500 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Something is not right. I can't seem to paste the screenshot here, but mine hits 60mph at 5500 rpm.
    What's your prop to pad?
    What size is your jack plate? Is it manual or hyd?

Just wanted to compare notes. I've got a Margay with the G2 and still playing with the setup. I'm getting the same speed at 5500. I went from a 24 to 25P due to the lower ratio (higher numerical) of the G2; 2.17:1. I think my P to P is 4.25". I raised it 1/2" from the stock position I believe.

Just for grins, probably the fastest Margay we'll ever see.

Keep in mind he's got a few advantages like salt water, a hydraulic jackplate and turning a 28P prop.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by depdog60 View Post
    What's your prop to pad?
    What size is your jack plate? Is it manual or hyd?

Just wanted to compare notes. I've got a Margay with the G2 and still playing with the setup. I'm getting the same speed at 5500. I went from a 24 to 25P due to the lower ratio (higher numerical) of the G2; 2.17:1. I think my P to P is 4.25". I raised it 1/2" from the stock position I believe.
    8" plate and PTP is just over 4" which concerned me until I read that Margays like a little lower engine. I am conflicted on raising it. On one hand, I think it's too low because last time out, I couldn't get over 5,500 rpm with one passenger and full wells, but on the other hand, she plows at mid speeds and trim does nothing but throw water until the high 40s or low 50s when I feel a slight shift and the bow comes up. Would love to get the bow up at lower speeds.

Yea I hear ya. My last boat was a Skeeter and this one is nothing like that lol. Not a bad thing but certainly different for sure. From what I read, the Cat hulls tend to run flat until they're fully up on the pad. Maybe BCB can add to this with suggestions since there are not many threads on this smaller hull. Something worth mentioning, since they are short, weight in the nose makes a big difference. I've read where guys replacing the Fortrex with Ultrex noticed a big difference. I have one too and try to keep as much as I can behind me. Just rods,vests and a couple of day boxes in the cavernous rod locker..
    Plowing is a good description and was my impression when I first took mine out I noticed I couldn't cruise bow up like I used to in the Skeeter but I did notice that I jammed the throttle it hopped right up on the pad and I could hear the motor load up as it sat on the prop so I started to move the motor up 1/4" at a time. By the second move, it was chine walking so much I couldn't get to WOT and I left it there until I dinged the prop and bought a 25P and didn't touch the height since. I think it could be raised another 1/4 but haven't tried it yet.
    Over trimming is easy to do on these hulls too. I went flat out with the new prop with the motor auto trimming and I got the top speed with around mid 40% trim. I know I was pushing it up in the 60% range when I was trying to get to top speed with the 24P prop probably making the chine walk worse but what I was used to doing in the other boat to get top speed. It made me realize "you've got to learn to drive them" was the truth.