Florida guy looking for a little help on Chick

Wife and I decided to make the trip up and stay with some family in Dalton. Drug my boat up here, so I plan on fishing Thursday and Friday. Leaving from Dalton, can someone recommend the best place for me to launch that is open? Any tips on areas would be great as this is my first time here. I would be more than willing to help out anyone that needed any guidance in north to central Florida. I am not a tournament fishermen, just a semi-retired law enforcement officer that loves to bass fish. I will be fishing out of my 1989 361V....thx

2. Member
    Welcome to Dalton (Whitfield County) Georgia, my hometown. This is not your lucky weekend. There is a Big Bass Splash on Chick this weekend, so I'm sure the lake will be busy on Thursday and Friday as well. With that being said, if you want to fish mid lake and up, I would go to Grasshopper Creek campground. It's just north of Cleveland, TN and a bit less than an hour from Dalton. It is a private ramp and there is a $5 launch fee. You can also drive another 15 minutes and go to Dayton boat dock. It's where the majority of large tourneys leave from. If you go there, stay in the channel markers out to the main river. If you want to fish down the lake, Wolftiever Creek would be my choice. It is on Hwy 58 in Harrison (Chattanooga area). I think the TVA ramp at Chick dam is still closed. You can post here on send me a message if you want more info.

3. Member
    Printman, pm sent

4. Member
    Appreciate all of the information, did okay, averaged between 6-8 fish a day and I fished hard. I did catch one that went 7.4 lbs. Of course the weekend I went, the Big Bass Tour was also going on, definitely got crowded. You guys have a wonderful fishery...

5. Member
    Just got back from my first fishing trip to the Chick. I haven't fished tournaments in 15 years, and I decided to fish a few this year. I fished with a guy about 12 years prior to that. We went separate ways after I got re-married. He fishes with a group of guys all year long. He asked me to fish with him again this a year and I said yes. He has fished the Chick once before. We got tired of culling fish and decided if they weren't 16" they went back, it was a great three days of fishing. We spent a day trying different patterns and ended up fishing grass. They hit a Senko real good in scattered grass and hammered a frog (you didn't miss many as hard as they hit) in the matted grass. It was pretty much fish half hour to an hour and then catch a few...go another half hour to hour and catch. The grass varied from 7' scattered to matted in four feet. Water temp was about 71.

We are both fishing Nikajack for the first time in Sept out of Hales Bar Marina. After today's win with 12.2 pounds I look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by agg5910 View Post
    Appreciate all of the information, did okay, averaged between 6-8 fish a day and I fished hard. I did catch one that went 7.4 lbs. Of course the weekend I went, the Big Bass Tour was also going on, definitely got crowded. You guys have a wonderful fishery...
    Any time you are traveling to fish, my site has water levels and ramps.