Boat registration

Ok guys I need some input. My wife and I recently moved to the Houston area from south Louisiana. I’m trying to get everything registered here but having some issues. I’m being told by tax assessors office as well as tpwd that I need the original title for boat to get it done. Problem is I still owe on the boat and bank has title. Tpwd is telling me to call my bank and have them send it to them. I knew that wasn’t going to happen but called my bank anyway. The bank tells me that they need a formal request from tax assessor to do anything. I think this is a little extreme in my opinion. We did both our vehicles with no problem and didn’t need titles for them. Also the boat has been registered in Louisiana since I got it brand new. Can someone please shed some light on this for me. Has anyone else from out of state had this issue and how was it handled. Thanks.

2. Banned
    It’s tough to keep stolen boats from being registered here, go to a TPWD office and get all the proper paperwork and take it to your bank.

If I were to buy a boat from out of state that had no title (which happens often), I would never be able to get it titled.

3. Member
    It is extreme to title an out of state boat in Texas. Your bank needs to cooperate with you a little better.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I would think the bank could provide a certified copy of the title if TPWD would accept that. You're gonna need one for the OB too. And if your trailer is over 4000 lb GVWR, the trailer will also have to be titled.
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 05-13-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post

If I were to buy a boat from out of state that had no title (which happens often), I would never be able to get it titled.
    Seriously? What is the problem? I am likely going to buy a boat out of Tennessee, and they do not require titles. According to the websites and what I have researched, all I need is their proper paperwork completed, signed by seller, and notarized as well as the Tennessee registration card.

Is there something that I'm not reading?

6. Member
    I purchased a boat from Mississippi in March. The dealer gave me 3 MSOs ( used for transfer of title). The hull and motor I registered with TDWF and the trailer with the county dmv. I had no issues with registration, just have check book because TDWF do not except credit cards.
    U.S. Army Veteran- 3rd Armored Division/ 1st Cavalry Division/ 10th Mountain

2020 Vexus 1980 w/ Mercury XS Pro 150
    MK Ultrex Mega DI
    9" HB Mega SI/DI+ (Console) 9" HB Mega DI+ (Bow)
    Garmin 106 SV
    LVS34
    HB Mega 360
    Miller Tech Lithium Batteries

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    Seriously? What is the problem? I am likely going to buy a boat out of Tennessee, and they do not require titles. According to the websites and what I have researched, all I need is their proper paperwork completed, signed by seller, and notarized as well as the Tennessee registration card.

Is there something that I'm not reading?

Call the TPWD office and get exactly what info they need, then talk to your seller and make sure they have all that info. There was a Skeeter in Tennessee that I wanted and the seller didn’t have the original bill of sale (or whatever TPWD wanted at the time), I was told that they would not give me a Title or registration in Texas for that boat.

You also have to 100% make sure all the paperwork is filled out properly. Total PITA if you miss something.

8. Member
    I recently had a different situation. Purchased a boat from TX and "registered" it in Tennessee. I had the titles from TX in the previous owner's name for boat, motor and trailer (with back signed). TN will be sending me the trailer title and boat registration only. I asked TPWD what to do with the TX titles for boat and motor which they did not take and they said "shred". When I asked what happens to record for TX titles, they said that this goes away when boat registered in TN. I'll make sure to keep everything.

Seems odd to me, but I called and asked about this THREE times....

9. Member
    Have you been to the TWPD office in person? I've found you get tons of misinformation over the phone with them but they'll get to the bottom of the problem if you visit in person so if you haven't yet I would plan on making a trip down there...

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post
    Have you been to the TWPD office in person? I've found you get tons of misinformation over the phone with them but they'll get to the bottom of the problem if you visit in person so if you haven't yet I would plan on making a trip down there...

Save some time at TPW and ask for supervisor. Bought a boat out of Colorado, a non-titled state. Had the MSO for both boat and motor. Girl at the desk said I needed a pencil rubbing of the serial numbers on both boat and motor. I told her the motor serial number was a sticker, so that wouldn’t show anything. She insisted and would not try to help me further until I produced both pencil rubbings. So, back to the house, boat serial number was no problem and I made a pencil rubbing of the sticker for the motor, (Mercury) and presented them both to her. She looked at the boat rubbing and accepted that then she looked at the rubbing of the sticker and asked what this was. I told her that was the sticker with the serial number. She was not amused or happy and went to get her boss. He came forward and asked me the year of the boat and motor and knew Mercury stopped casting in the serial numbers. He asked if I had anything else to show the serial numbers and I showed him the MSOs for both and he said that’s all you need to obtain title, he told her with these she didn’t have to get a pencil rubbing of either when the owner had the MSOs. Could have saved me a lot of time and frustration if I had asked for him first. Good luck!

12. Bobby8
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post
    Do this!!

13. Member
    Thanks for everyone's input. All i can do is what they ask so we shall see.

I had to go through this last year. I had to stand at the TPWD desk and call my bank on my cell phone. With both parties communicating through me, I was able to get what I needed. It was a major PITA, but I got it done.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

15. Member
    Dealing with TPWD for anything is a pain. I don’t even go to their office anymore. Go to the Montgomery county tax office, and they can do anything that TPWD and they are competent at least.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToledoBendChamp View Post
    Dealing with TPWD for anything is a pain. I don’t even go to their office anymore. Go to the Montgomery county tax office, and they can do anything that TPWD and they are competent at least.
    That's good information.