#2 piston left today

Today was really windy, and not a good day to fish but I went out on the river anyhow. Yesterday I unwrapped a roll of boat carpet I bought from BPS a couple of years ago, the carpet on my front deck was mostly missing, I had put I/O carpet down temporarily about a year ago and it was more gone than there. Anyhow, I bought some I/O carpet adhesive and set out to replace the front deck carpet. I opened the roll, the carpet was CRAP! I bought the next-to-best thickness and it was lousy. I had just cleaned all the old cement and carpet off with a scrubbing disc on a grinder and some Goof-Off so I went ahead and put a new front section on.
    Big mistake. Apparently my motor didn't like the carpet, and out on the river it blew the #2 piston. I had been hearing a ticking noise from my 175DF for a couple of days, but wrote it off as cowling rattle. It sounded like a cracked piston or a wrist pin issue, but didn't get any louder.
    I got it running and limped about a mile with it rattling and shaking like a leaf against the tide and a stiff wind. I got to the local ferry, called my brother for help. He was 30 miles away, but met me at the ferry, got my keys and got my truck and trailer which was 5 miles upriver. I turned the truck and trailer around, backed it to the slip and the next time the ferry went to the opposite shore I ran the boat around the slip on high trolling motor and loaded it up before the ferry got back.
    #2 cylinder has zero compression and the plug electrode is slightly closed so I figure the piston top came off.

I will buy a 200 DF I guess. I can get it installed for $15,300. It's an old boat, but it's guaranteed 6 years and I'm 77, so I guess it will be more reliable than me. After today's close call, I think a reliable motor is necessary.

2. Member
    Ouch, sorry to hear about that!

How old/many hours did you have on the DF175?

Sorry to hear that the engine decided it's not a fan of new carpet! LOL What dealer did you get your price from? Always thinking about repowering but finding a good Suzuki dealer is not the easiest.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Sorry to hear about engine letting you down after all of these years. Luckily you were able to get off the water okay.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

5. Member
    delete pls

6. Member
    I bought it used, and it only had about 500 hours on it, but I had heard that noise lately. If there is a next time, which I doubt, I'll trust my instincts and tear it down if I hear anything odd.
    I had been using ethanol free for the last 5 years, but recently started using 10% figuring a 2006 motor was designed for it. Maybe I made an error there.

I sure don't want to buy a new motor but Summer doesn't last forever and if I get it repaired I'll lose a couple of months.