Manual jackplate adjustment after adding dual power poles

I have a manual jackplate and I recently added dual 8' Sportsman II power poles w/ sandwich brackets on my boat.

The only real difference I notice is in the handling, and what I'm experiencing is a little bit of porpoising when getting up to speed, or when traveling at any speed under WOT...unless I'm trimmed all of the way down.

I am figuring I need to make a slight jackplate adjustment to compensate for the added weight on the transom.

Does anyone know if my first adjustment should be up or down on the jackplate? Anyone experience this?

Thanks

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Can I ask why if you have a jackplate you choose sandwich style brackets? guessing the jackplate was a old model and not sidemountable? We have never really heard of any porpoisng problems when adding poles. Pretty unheard of. Not to mention you added very little weight with the sportsman II. However every boat behaves differently with added weight. yYou did add a 1/2" more setback when adding the sandwich brackets who knows.. I dont believe adjusting the jackplate will help, however never hurts to try. Would be more of a trim deal IMO.. what inch jackplate are you running? May have to try a 4 blade prop if running a 3.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Can I ask why if you have a jackplate you choose sandwich style brackets? guessing the jackplate was a old model and not sidemountable?
    Yes, I sent you pictures of my jackplate and we (you) determined that my jackplate was old and would not facilitate the sidemountable brackets; therefore you suggested the sandwich brackets.

We have never really heard of any porpoisng problems when adding poles. Pretty unheard of. Not to mention you added very little weight with the sportsman II. However every boat behaves differently with added weight. yYou did add a 1/2" more setback when adding the sandwich brackets who knows.. I dont believe adjusting the jackplate will help, however never hurts to try. Would be more of a trim deal IMO.. what inch jackplate are you running? May have to try a 4 blade prop if running a 3.
    The jackplate is a 5" jackplate.

Before I added the poles I could cruise at half speed (any speed) and trim up to a "comfortable" position and it would be a great ride. Now, to cruise at half speed, it wants to porpoise unless I trim it all the way down. Maybe it is a trim deal...I'll keep playing with it.

I get it that I didn't add much weight...but something is effecting the handling. I was just trying to look for feedback to get it dialed in.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    may just be rebalancing the boat now I would try to add a little weight into the bow and see how she reacts. Sounds like that 374v is more weight sensitive on the transom then most. Could try a 25lb free weight in the bow see how it reacts. Go from there.

may just be rebalancing the boat now I would try to add a little weight into the bow and see how she reacts. Sounds like that 374v is more weight sensitive on the transom then most. Could try a 25lb free weight in the bow see how it reacts. Go from there.
    10-4, thanks.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

6. Member
    By sandwiching your mounts, you've effectively added setback to your rig. Theoretically, you should raise your jackplate to compensate.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by snapshotmd View Post
    By sandwiching your mounts, you've effectively added setback to your rig. Theoretically, you should raise your jackplate to compensate.
    Thank you!!!! I knew it needed a height adjustment...but just couldn't envision what needed to happen. Didn't know whether to go up or down.

I actually ended up ordering a new cranking battery a week later (due to different issue) and my new battery is 20lbs lighter....which solved my porpoising issue.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles