Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vault hybrid grease

Is there another alternative to the Vault hybrid grease? Replacing bearings and seals on a dual axle trailer and was wondering if Lucas or someone had a replacement hybrid grease.
    Jason Ferrell
    Virginia
    2015 Skeeter ZX250
    2015 Yamaha VMAX SHO 250

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 07SkeeterZX225 View Post
    Is there another alternative to the Vault hybrid grease? Replacing bearings and seals on a dual axle trailer and was wondering if Lucas or someone had a replacement hybrid grease.
    You can use Lucas Red and Tacky #2 mixed with the Vault Hybrid Grease. I’m currently converting my trailer away from Vault to bearing buddies with the blue indicators. Just waiting for new seals to arrive. I’m fed up with Vault / Dexter... The Vaults are “maintenance free” until a seal goes and you have catastrophic failure. Just happed to another buddies two year old trailer. Now he has to replace his spindle, hub, and brake caliper. Bearing buddy you pull the hub off, inspect and clean everything, remove all of the hybrid oil, repack the bearings with Lucas Red and Tacky, install all new seals, reinstall the hub, use a 1/4 - 28 grease fitting to fill spindle to rear bearing, pack hub full of grease, install bearing buddy, fill with grease until bearing buddy blue indicator is 1/8 of an inch out (flush with bearing buddy) and your done.

If a a seal goes bad, you can give it a few pumps and still make your trip, not with Vault / Dexter. Every winter just pull each hub, do a visual inspection, repack for the next season. Many will say they’ve had Vault trouble free for years. Maybe so... to each their own.

To do this successfully the new grease would have to have the same viscosity index as the hybrid. The low viscosity index of the hybrid grease causes it to thin out as the temperature inside the hub increases so it recirculates through the bearings and the center drilling of the spindle.
    I made the mistake of using the wrong grease and blew off both bearing caps on one trip. Ended up unhooking the trailer, driving to town to pick up the parts and changing it over to EZ-Lube in the ramp parking lot. Hard Lesson.
    I am not a fan of vault hubs, they are great when they work but when they fail it is catastrophic.
    ThAt being said, my failure was not the fault of the vault hub system, that is all on me.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 05-12-2020 at 10:36 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Lucas Red and Tacky #2 can be mixed with the hybrid oil. It actually mentions it in the Vault manual. I believe it’s mentioned as a short term solution until things can be permanently fixed. I was quite surprised myself considering the hybrid oil liquifies as it heats up.

I think the catch with Vault hubs is “maintenance free.” If many knew of the high probability of a catastrophic failure, I bet they would go with bearing buddies. I ran bearing buddies for many years, and the worst I ever had was a rear seal go bad leaking some grease, not all of the grease like Vaults will. A few pumps and I was safely able to get to my destination without damaging other parts. I feel like I decided to convert to bearing buddies at the right time as well, one of the Vaults I removed had little to no hybrid grease in it. That stuff is very messy and as I prepared myself taking each Vault off, one only had a very small blob of oil remaining in it and the Vault cap was not “flush in” as its suppose to be in order to let you know it’s time to be serviced. I got lucky.
    Last edited by Hooked247; 05-13-2020 at 02:24 PM.

5. Member
    Yes, Lucas Red n Tacky is compatible with the Vault Hybrid Grease. Exactly as stated above, replace the hybrid Grease w/ Lucas Red. Remove the Vault hub and replace with a Bearing Buddy. Fill with Lucas and tow away!

6. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    How do you know which seals to get for a RT188 trailer. I noticed the inside of my rim has grease in it. I would rather convert to bearing buddy than fool with the vault system. So get new inner seal, put new grease in and put bearing buddy where vault cap was? I’ve got tournaments the next two weekends that are gonna be a little traveling and of course noticed this today when I was taking my tires off to have them balanced. Are they standard seals I could get at academy or Wal mart or just go ahead and add the Lucas to get by the next two weeks and then do overhaul after that? Or not worry about it for now?
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 05-26-2020 at 10:53 PM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    How do you know which seals to get for a RT188 trailer. I noticed the inside of my rim has grease in it. I would rather convert to bearing buddy than fool with the vault system. So get new inner seal, put new grease in and put bearing buddy where vault cap was? I’ve got tournaments the next two weekends that are gonna be a little traveling and of course noticed this today when I was taking my tires off to have them balanced. Are they standard seals I could get at academy or Wal mart or just go ahead and add the Lucas to get by the next two weeks and then do overhaul after that? Or not worry about it for now?
    I would assume that they are a standard double lipped seal. Why buy a bearing buddy? Hand pack with grease if you prefer and just use the vault hub cap.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    I'm not sure who makes the Ranger RT188 trailer, but I would contact them. Typically you can purchase seals at your local NAPA etc. but make sure they are marine grade seals not some multi purpose utility trailer seal. I have all the parts numbers for my Marine Master trailer and purchase parts from Trailer Parts Super Store online.

I'm in the middle of converting my vaults to Bearing Buddies, it took me 4 - 5 days to get all my parts so keep that in mind. You will be ordering a spindle seal kit (rear main hub seal and rear inner seal o-ring, and front hub seal o-ring. Could be different based on your trailer axle. Many will tell you that you do not need to order seals, but for my trailer the seals are "glued" in with permatex red rtv so there's no way to remove them without bending them.

I do not know how your trailer axles are, but for mine it's a pretty simple conversion. Before you start put a good drip/oil pan under the hub your working on. Remove the vault/dexter insert, remove the hub, remove the front bearing, remove the rear hub seal (mine are glued in with permatex red rtv) to get the rear bearing out, and clean all the hybrid grease out. As long as the bearings and bearing races are in good order, clean and pack the bearings with Lucas Red and Tacky #2, reinstall bearings. Replace the rear inner hub seal o-ring, the main rear outer hub seal (reglue with permatex red rtv), and the front hub o-ring seal. The hole in the front of my spindle fits a 1/4 - 28 straight grease fitting, install the grease fitting, pump that until grease fills the back of the hub. REMOVE the grease fitting - DO NOT leave it in. Finish filling the front of the hub with grease, put the nut and cotter pin on, fill the Bearing Buddy up with grease, take a 1-1/2" x 3" PVC coupler, a rubber mallet, and knock the bearing buddy in. Pump the bearing buddy until the blue indicator is flush with the outside of the bearing buddy 1/8" - 1/4." Put the cap on and your done. I haven't finished mine because I'm fighting with my first ever, and hopefully only ever kidney stone - not fun at all.

You can use / mix Lucas Red and Tacky #2 with the hybrid grease to get you by until you can permanently get all the parts and time to fix it, it's listed in the Vault / Dexter instructions manual. If you have any other questions shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by Hooked247; 05-28-2020 at 09:49 PM.

9. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I ordered an o ring, rear seal and hybrid grease. Decided to reuse the vault caps Instead of switching to bearing buddies. That should be all I need is it it? Once you get it figured out, we aren’t far apart just come on over and handle mine. LOL.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

10. Member
    Are you guys getting your parts at Eastern Marine, Pacific trailer or someplace else.

11. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    Are you guys getting your parts at Eastern Marine, Pacific trailer or someplace else.
    I bought mine from Eastern Marine. They have The WhoLe assembly and the parts listed but You can click on each piece from there. I didn’t want a new hub, bearings and cap. Just the o ring, seal and grease.

https://www.easternmarine.com/em-vau...it-138-116-oil

Also here is a good video of how to service them if you are not needing to replace a seal.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    I ordered an o ring, rear seal and hybrid grease. Decided to reuse the vault caps Instead of switching to bearing buddies. That should be all I need is it it? Once you get it figured out, we aren’t far apart just come on over and handle mine. LOL.
    Oh sure thing, I'll be right there. Please enjoy the music while your party is reached.... Are Vault caps reusable?

13. Member
    If anyone has changed over with a Ranger RT178/188 trailer does the spindle have the 1/8 NPT threaded hole in it.

14. Member
    Why would you not use what vault hubs call for?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Why would you not use what vault hubs call for?
    Dave what are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    If anyone has changed over with a Ranger RT178/188 trailer does the spindle have the 1/8 NPT threaded hole in it.
    It does have the threaded hole but I think it is 10-32, can’t remember for sure. I changed mine over to EZ-lube by leaving the Zert fitting in place and installing EZ-Lube caps. Easy.

17. Member
    Thanks Bill I will check that EZ-Lube cap out. I noticed my black Vault center caps are not sticking out as far as they used to on my four year old trailer almost even with the cap now.

These are the style of EZ-Lube caps I was referring to but the pictures may not represent the correct size for your hub.
    Good Luck

19. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    Oh sure thing, I'll be right there. Please enjoy the music while your party is reached.... Are Vault caps reusable?
    In that video I attached he reused them.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    Dave what are you referring to?
    Vault calls for a special grease
    Ufp 088-013-00 Hybrid Vault Oil 14 Oz (07036)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast