Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Vault calls for a special grease
    Ufp 088-013-00 Hybrid Vault Oil 14 Oz (07036)
    Yes that is correct. I think I’m missing something here. If your referring to me mentioning using Lucas Red & Tacky #2 it’s in the Vault manual as a temporary solution if you have a leak etc. to get you to where you need to go. Problem with Vaults is the “hope” is you catch the leak and not while traveling because you have an extremely higher probability of a catastrophic failure. I’m changing to bearing buddies because too many of my buddies have had issues and I got lucky and caught mine in time. One recent friend who’s boat is maybe two years old, on his way to a tournament a Vault seal blew out going down the road and before he had any signs of it (cloud of smoke) he pulled over and it was too late. Damaged the spindle, brake caliper and hub internals. It clearly states in the Vault manual a leak can cause catastrophic failure. It’s a common theme with them so for me I’d much rather go back to how it was done for many years and pack the bearings once a year. I personally never had any issues ever with the “old school” method. I know many who have removed their Vaults / Dexters and many that swear by them. To each there own.... Anything now-a-days that says “maintenance free” should catch anyone’s attention, but when a boat comes out of warranty that’s a pretty expensive repair because a $5 seal blew. Just my personal thoughts.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    In that video I attached he reused them.
    Gotcha. I watched it after the fact. Just wanted to make sure you would be safe traveling down the road that’s all. Some pretty bumpy roads in your neck of the woods.

3. Member
    So are you saying if you blow a seal with the vault hub Lucas red and tacky #2 could be used to get you home.

Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    So are you saying if you blow a seal with the vault hub Lucas red and tacky #2 could be used to get you home.
    Don't say" Blow a seal."

"The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    If you find a leaking seal, yes you can use Lucas Red & Tacky #2 with the hybrid grease. A Blown seal usually comes with other issues and won’t hold anything.

6. Member
    Hate to bring up a old thread but can you just use Lucas red and tacky instead of the vault hybrid oil. Not temporary I’m saying put in the Lucas for a permanent use. The vault lubricant is so hard to contain if a leak occurs.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billydonwon View Post
    Hate to bring up a old thread but can you just use Lucas red and tacky instead of the vault hybrid oil. Not temporary I’m saying put in the Lucas for a permanent use. The vault lubricant is so hard to contain if a leak occurs.
    Yes, Had that done on my last set of vaults. Just remove as much vault grease as you can, put a zerk in the end of the spindle and fill it with Lucas and then put an EZ Lube cap on it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    Yes, Had that done on my last set of vaults. Just remove as much vault grease as you can, put a zerk in the end of the spindle and fill it with Lucas and then put an EZ Lube cap on it.
    Why can’t I use the Vault cap??

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billydonwon View Post
    Why can’t I use the Vault cap??
    You could, but they are a bit of a PITA when you want to add grease and they are one time use, so they can get expensive over time. The EZ Lube caps you can leave the zerk in the axle and they have a rubber tab you take out to fill, only time you remove the cap is to service the bearings.

10. Member
    Thanks

11. Banned
    I just dis this, port side seal was done so I got replacement parts. I picked up bearing buddies, packed new bearings with Lucas red n tacky then fill hub up with same grease. The other side was fine, but I removed hub and as much hybrid grease as I could refilled with Lucas red n tacky. Now I can add grease as I see fit, little more peace of mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12