Thread: Falcon BuCoo SR

Falcon BuCoo SR

Anyone have any insight to share on the BuCoo SR rods? I don’t see where they build a MH with a fast action. Are their Heavy rods more like most brands MH? One of the things throwing me off is the way they name the rods. For example, what they are calling a “trap caster” appears to be more of a Texas Rig rod to me. Any thoughts or insight? I’m needing to purchase 10 new rods and placed these in the running.

2. Member
    I have 2 or the original 7' MH's. These are fantastic rods. Seriously, I can't retire them. They are just too versatile. I have other, far more expensive sticks, but these two are great. Great for spinnerbaits, chatterbait, medium crankbaits, spoons, etc. I could go on and on. They are extremely valuable in my rod box.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

3. Banned
    The original bucoo Rods were great for the money. I haven’t tried the new ones.

4. Member
    What are you trying to do with it? I'd say primarily they run slightly lighter action then they rate it. I had multiple OG bucoos and we're great rods for the $$

I have a trap caster, usually have a square bill on it, you could do small texas rigs on it, weightless 5" senko. I use the 5-172 for senko, swim jigs, spinnerbaits, squarebills, finesse jig, moderate cover.. very versatile! the 6-174 is what I use for a little larger baits , jigs, keitechs, Carolina rig, some pitching, many more things..heavier cover, very versatile. the 7-173 is my texas rig rod. love it for pitching and heavier things.. heavy cover, also very versatile. I think if I could only have 3 rods those would take care of anything.. I remember using the 5-172 for a 6xd a few years back because my cranking rods weren't with me.. it worked lol
    the trap caster is a cool rod, it can do many things well, just doesn't excite me all that much
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    I have a trap caster, usually have a square bill on it, you could do small texas rigs on it, weightless 5" senko. I use the 5-172 for senko, swim jigs, spinnerbaits, squarebills, finesse jig, moderate cover.. very versatile! the 6-174 is what I use for a little larger baits , jigs, keitechs, Carolina rig, some pitching, many more things..heavier cover, very versatile. the 7-173 is my texas rig rod. love it for pitching and heavier things.. heavy cover, also very versatile. I think if I could only have 3 rods those would take care of anything.. I remember using the 5-172 for a 6xd a few years back because my cranking rods weren't with me.. it worked lol
    the trap caster is a cool rod, it can do many things well, just doesn't excite me all that much
    Chris summed it up pretty well in my opinion. I'd also agree with skeeter21 that they run slightly lighter action than what they are rated, compared to most rods. I have (4) of them, 7' MH, 2-7'3 H, 1-7'5 XH. I think they are a dang good rod for $100.

Personally, I think the trap caster is really versatile. I've been using mine for spinnerbaits and swim jigs the last few years, and while it does have a pretty soft action for being rated a MH it does have a lot of backbone and will take heavy hooksets well. To me, Falcon rods are incredibly comfortable and well balanced, to the point that I find it hard to fish anything else. And they're way more sensitive than some rods that sell for a lot more money.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

8. Member
    They are lighter than the rating given.
    Good rod, good sensitivity but doesn’t have high sensitivity like a cara level (also a lot more coin for their top end.). I won my 7’3” in a contest so I didn’t pay for and I like it. I’ve been a falcon user for 15 years, most all cara lineup. I would consider another Bucco SR if needed. I like it better than the one original bucco I have. Feels more refined.

9. Member
    I had a Bucoo micro that was discontinued when I had to put a warranty claim in. They sent me an SR as a replacement. Definitely not a true 7'3 H like I was shooting for. Shoot me a message if you're interested in one with about a half season on it..

Can anybody tell me the length of the handle of the bucoo from butt to end of grip just before the trigger (foam) all of the websites state 15 inches. I assume they mean from butt to reel seat. I had a Kistler and the handle was too short like 9 inch, I prefer a longer handle. Thanks in advance.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh402 View Post
    Can anybody tell me the length of the handle of the bucoo from butt to end of grip just before the trigger (foam) all of the websites state 15 inches. I assume they mean from butt to reel seat. I had a Kistler and the handle was too short like 9 inch, I prefer a longer handle. Thanks in advance.
    I have a 6'6" MH. TW states and my ruler measures handle is 13 3/4" to foregrip. From butt to trigger is 10". On a 15" handle add 1 1/4" to 10 inches= 11 1/4 ". Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot RFSims yes it does puts the handle in my preference range.

13. Member
    I was looking at these for a rod for my son and I noticed they have a lot of shorter lengths that are listed moderate-fast. How does the flex compare to say, a moderate fast st. croix (like the spinnerbait rod) or a Dobyns 705cb? Being that he's just about to turn 12, I think the shorter rods are the way to go for him, because I had him trying his new reel on one of my 7' spinnerbait rods and he got a bite, but didn't get the hook set well so I think a shorter, lighter rod might help.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    I was looking at these for a rod for my son and I noticed they have a lot of shorter lengths that are listed moderate-fast. How does the flex compare to say, a moderate fast st. croix (like the spinnerbait rod) or a Dobyns 705cb? Being that he's just about to turn 12, I think the shorter rods are the way to go for him, because I had him trying his new reel on one of my 7' spinnerbait rods and he got a bite, but didn't get the hook set well so I think a shorter, lighter rod might help.
    May be what you are looking for..... I have one. Spinner bait, crankbait, jerkbait, topwater even Texas rig worm.
    BuCoo SR "Herm" BRC-5-166

Bucoos are $79.99 @ Sportsman Outfitters.