Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone's method and or suggestions for retrieving rod /reel in 7 foot of water?

Looking for any idea, suggestions, or methods used to, hopefully, retrieve a rod / reel which went overboard in 7-8 foot of water?

Just remember that it likely didn't fall straight to the bottom. Even without current it could be 10 feet away from where it went in.

I have had success dragging a BIG crankbait slowly through the area before. Just maintain contact with the bottom and if you do get lucky enough to hook the rod bring it up SLOWLY and hope for the best.

Hope you get it back!

3. Member
    Hair Jig that's the first thing I did was grab grab a rod with rattle trap and drag through the area. Got hung-up several times then finally one time to many and broke off. I plan to returning ASAP and will be trying close to same tactic, 50 ft cord, medal fish stringer with a #10 treble hook placed in each stringer clip.

A stringer is a good idea. Just open up the clips on the stringer and you might have a chance.

5. Member
    I used a one ounce weight on a #8 treble hook to retrieve one. It was in about 10 foot of water.
    If the thunder don't getcha, the lightning will.

What's the water temperature? Even here, I'd go in after it. It's just mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter! Water temp was 54-57F here last Friday. Be sure you have a plan on how to get back in the boat! I used the power trim/tilt, put both feet on the cavitation plate and hit the trim button. It lifted me right out of the water and pretty much dumped me onto the back deck, and even then I was not a small guy, at around 200 lbs.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

7. Half Fast
    I used a saltwater rig that had 3 swivels. Added 3 weighted trebles. 2 tries and I retrieved in 18 feet of water, 3 days later.
    Fishing, A passion my wife allows me to pursue !!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    A stringer is a good idea. Just open up the clips on the stringer and you might have a chance.
    Yep.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

9. Member
    Just a thought... if the water is clear enough, try looking for it with an Aqua-Vu camera, then just drop a treble hook down to it.

Another idea is to fan cast a deep diving crankbait in the area, one that dives to 16 feet should work. I "caught" a medium heavy 7 foot Cabela's baitcasting combo last year by accident.

10. Member
    I would use side scan and down scan to pin point location and mark it, large rattle trap dragging it slow across target.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

11. Member

If it's 7 or 8 feet, unless you're really short, you could hang onto the boat and reach it with your feet.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

13. Member
    I had a partner lost six in 25 foot of water , in a tourney we got all of them back in about an hour. Took large trebles off some crank baits weighted them down and drug the bottom Carolina rig style.

14. Member

Attach 1/2 ounce weights to each end of the stringer and tie this rig to a heavy rod with heavy braid line. If you hang it up pull hard, the open hooks on the string will open up and pop free.

I've done this several times (unfortunately) and have never failed to recover a rod, sometimes as deep as 25 feet.

15. Member
    Whew! Guys I want to thank everyone for their suggestions in my concern. That said, the old saying, "persistence is a virtue!" is so true. Long story made short, lost 2 rod combs on Sunday May 10 and spent 3 hours dragging light chain stringer w/#10 treble hook attached through various parts of area with no luck. Returned to area with same tool and method to work for 4 hours from first light and retrieved both combos. again thanks everyone.

Glad you had success getting them back!

NOW ........ Quit kicking them out of the boat!!!!!!

17. Member
    Thanks Hair Jig I needed that directive! Although my stupid action was the lose. I didn't kick them overboard. I opened the rod box with these rods on it STUPID HUH! I was lucky in that after 2 days at 4 hours of dragging the treble hooks I got them back, I hope I learned a lesson!

18. Member
    This

I got two of them back using a metal stringer this spring. I have carried a metal stringer for years and had never used it. Both UL rods went overboard while crappie fishing, took about 30 seconds to retrieve each one

20. Im wishin I was fishin
    Quote Originally Posted by wbfishon View Post

Attach 1/2 ounce weights to each end of the stringer and tie this rig to a heavy rod with heavy braid line. If you hang it up pull hard, the open hooks on the string will open up and pop free.

I've done this several times (unfortunately) and have never failed to recover a rod, sometimes as deep as 25 feet.
    This worked for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast