Retrieving Rod / Reel Combo from 7 Foot of water?

Looking for any idea, suggestions, or methods used to, hopefully, retrieve a rod / reel which went overboard in 7-8 foot of water?

Big treble hook like the alligator hunters use.
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Jump in and dive down to get it
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Jump in and dive down to get it
    That was my first thought but there must be a reason why not.
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

5. Member
    Cat fan that surely would work but in the state of Indiana, but in Louisiana I don't think so. I guess you know they got lizard type animals in the bayous, might not be a good idea to be diving in the water in shallow water. Thanks though for idea.

I like the idea of the treble hooks. Not as large as those used in Gator fishing though.
    Last edited by Speedboat; 05-12-2020 at 11:31 AM.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedboat View Post
    Cat fan that surely would work but in the state of Indiana, but in Louisiana I don't think so. I guess you know they got lizard type animals in the bayous, might not be a good idea to be diving in the water in shallow water. Thanks though for idea.
    You didn’t mention the rod was in the deepest depths of hell!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Catfan rods in 7-8 ft. not in Hell just North Carolina although some folks say NC is Hell on Earth. I tried dragging a crankbait through the area but broke off bait after several times. I rigged up a similar method, 50' cord attaching a medal stringer with a #10 treble hook on each stringer clip. Will try ASAP Wed this week.

8. Member
    Try that stringer instead of the treble hooks try opening up the metal hooks on stringer should latch on it.hope it’s not in current they tend to move some. Good luck been there.

9. Member
    the best rod retriever is the old style metal fish stringers on 20' piece of rope. open all the hooks and fling it pout there it will catch everything!

10. Member
    I threw one overboard mad as all get out last summer.. 7 foot castaway skeleton with a lews speed spool 1 with upgraded bearings.. about 20 minutes later I calmed down and decided to try to find it.... no dice.. mouth of a bayou at lake borgne... pretty sure the tide took it to Cuba or somewhere other than where I threw it in the water..

11. Member
    True story ........... about 15' water in a saltwater marsh washout in Pt. Au Fer Island, while changing the crab on my son's rod, and wham!!!, I turned around, and my rod was 6 feet in the air with the line under tension. It darted into the water, and all we could do was look at each other. I had a great friend, and his son with us, so thankfully, like any good inshore fisherman, I had about 6 rods with me, and we kept fishing. less than an hour later, I'm fishing a Carolina rig with a cracked crab, and I set the hook on a good one. It gets to the top of the water, and it's my rod/reel. We get it in, and the fish was still on. It was gut hooked, and about an 8 pound redfish. My buddy told me that if he wasn't with me, he would never believe the story. The rod was hooked near the first eye from the reel seat. Shimano Calcutta and a BPS Inshore Extreme rod. I guess I'm glad I got it back.