NEED: Original Teleflex dual rack Pinion Stratos 273

I am serious need of the pinion assembly part (minus the actual racks/cables) of the picture below labeled "The Old Helm". Was replacing my steering wheel on my 1998 Stratos 273 only to find the previous owner stripped the threads on the end of the main shaft. Considering the speeds we run this stratos 273 at I began to disassemble. Around 2 hours later & a lot of swearing I had succeeded in completely destroying this unit to get the steering wheel off. I need to save some $$$ to buy an updated system or convert to hyd, but if anyone has the old school dual pinion assembly I would love to buy it so we are not down for an extended period of time. Not too mention I just sunk money in a rebuilt lower unit. Mine has the two separate racks like pictured below with each having a cable run to my Johnson 150 Fast Strike.

Picture compliments of http://www.brushyland.com/fishing/steering.htm

TeleflexDualPinion.jpg

2. Member
    If you are looking for a used one check with Budget Boats in Chesapeake VA. They may have one. I use to buy them from Overtons marine when I replaced mine on my old Winner boat.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    If you are looking for a used one check with Budget Boats in Chesapeake VA. They may have one. I use to buy them from Overtons marine when I replaced mine on my old Winner boat.
    Thank you! I ended up going with the SS51214 Kit which has dual cables but 1 physical rack vs the original 2 each racks. The mounting hardware was an exact match of the OEM unit, but routing these cables along the starboard side past all the wiring harness was a bunch of freaking fun. I will checkout Budget Boats for sure.

4. Member
    Just an update: I am not a fan of the SS51214 kit. This thing is an absolute bear to turn the wheel to the port direction. I have adjusted the torque tab as far to the left as I can. I will definitely be investing in a Hyd solution.