Expride vs. Dobyns Champ - swim jigs & braided line

When throwing 3/8 oz swim jigs in/around milfoil using BRAID - which rod/action would you prefer?

*Shimano Expride 7’2” MH moderate-fast action (the graphite rod not glass)
    *Dobyns Champ 7’3” Heavy Fast action 734c

I’m looking for input on which rod would have the right power/tip action to manage the weeds and keep fish buttoned when using braided line. Open to other rod recommendations too.
    Last edited by FryDog62; 05-12-2020 at 09:43 AM.

2. Member
    I have the Expride 7'2" MH Glass composite rod and use it with 40lb braid. I typically am throwing 3/8 oz chatterbaits on it (I normally throw 1/4 oz swim jigs, so I throw those on a different rod) and absolutely love how the rod functions. I think the braid's lack of stretch helps make up for some of the flex in the rod so you are still able to get a good solid hookset, but since the rod has a slower action you're able to keep the fish pinned better than with a fast action rod.

3. Member
    Thank you, the glass rod you’re referring to is very good for Chatterbaits... however, I should have clarified that the Expride I’m referring to above is the 7’2” MH moderate-fast action graphite rod:

ITEM CODE
    EX172MHA
    REARGRIP LENGTH
    ACTION
    Moderate Fast
    NUMBER OF SECTIONS
    LINE WEIGHT (LBS)
    10-20
    LENGTH (IN)
    7'2''
    LURE WEIGHT (OZ)
    3/8-1
    FOREGRIP LENGTH
    GRIP MATERIAL
    AA Cork & EVA
    GUIDES
    Fuji SiC
    POWER
    Medium Heavy
    Last edited by FryDog62; 05-12-2020 at 09:34 AM.

4. Member
    I actually have both the 7'2" MH Glass Composite and the 7'2" MH graphite. What's odd is that Tackle Warehouse says that the 7'2" MH graphite is a fast action rod, but Shimano's website says it's a moderate-fast. I only got the 7'2" graphite rod a few weeks ago, so I haven't really done a lot with it to be able to say definitively what action it is, but from the little I've been able to use it I feel it's more of a fast action than a moderate fast. I got it to be an all around rod but haven't used it for any moving baits yet, only a Texas rig and a weightless Senko. There's a guy on here that does rod reviews (screen name is punch) and I know he's put in extensive time with the 7'2" MH graphite rod. Maybe send him a PM and he could tell you whether it's more of a moderate fast action or a fast action. And I'm sure he could give you his thoughts on throwing a 3/8 oz swim jig on it.

5. Member
    734, no doubt. Exprides are great sticks, but the 734 is special for with swim jigs and braid IMO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I actually have both the 7'2" MH Glass Composite and the 7'2" MH graphite. What's odd is that Tackle Warehouse says that the 7'2" MH graphite is a fast action rod, but Shimano's website says it's a moderate-fast. I only got the 7'2" graphite rod a few weeks ago, so I haven't really done a lot with it to be able to say definitively what action it is, but from the little I've been able to use it I feel it's more of a fast action than a moderate fast. I got it to be an all around rod but haven't used it for any moving baits yet, only a Texas rig and a weightless Senko. There's a guy on here that does rod reviews (screen name is punch) and I know he's put in extensive time with the 7'2" MH graphite rod. Maybe send him a PM and he could tell you whether it's more of a moderate fast action or a fast action. And I'm sure he could give you his thoughts on throwing a 3/8 oz swim jig on it.
    Punch is very high on the Expride but I don’t know if he’s compared it to the 734c.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    734, no doubt. Exprides are great sticks, but the 734 is special for with swim jigs and braid IMO
    Thx, have you fished both rods with braid? On paper they look similar and both are well-regarded rods. Makes it a tough call...

I have not fished an Expride so can not help you there but have four Champion 734's and it is a very special rod indeed,,, this is my go to rod throwing a chatterbait (3/8 & 1/2 oz) rod works amazing for ripping grass or any type of cover,, also use it for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and swim jigs..... my only problem with this is rod is I don't have more of them

9. Member
    You might consider the Expride 7-2 H vs MH depending on how heavy/thick the cover/vegetation is you are fishing around. I have both and depending on cover, one works better than the other. I lean more towards the 7-2H as it's powerful and has a moderate fast action... a nice combination for use with braided line. Plenty of power, but easy and accurate casting.

I don't have any experience with the Dobyn's so won't comment on it... but have heard many praises for the 734, even as a C-rig rod..

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    You might consider the Expride 7-2 H vs MH depending on how heavy/thick the cover/vegetation is you are fishing around. I have both and depending on cover, one works better than the other. I lean more towards the 7-2H as it's powerful and has a moderate fast action... a nice combination for use with braided line. Plenty of power, but easy and accurate casting.

I don't have any experience with the Dobyn's so won't comment on it... but have heard many praises for the 734, even as a C-rig rod..
    Since both the MH and Heavy 7’2” Expride are Moderate-Fast is the only main difference between the two the stronger backbone of the Heavy?

11. Member
    Can’t speak on the Expride, but I used to throw my swim jigs on the 734 w/ braid. That 734 is a special rod. I’d say it fishes more like a medium heavy than a heavy. It has a great tip and a nice backbone. Probably will not be quite as sensitive as the Expride, but that doesn’t matter much with braid.

It’s also a phenomenal rod for buzzbaits. I regret selling mine.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    Since both the MH and Heavy 7’2” Expride are Moderate-Fast is the only main difference between the two the stronger backbone of the Heavy?
    Pretty much... the more I play around with the 7-2 H, the more I like it.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

13. Banned
    I have been fishing the 734 and the expride for the last few years as my go to swim jig rods but i picked up a glx 843mbr this last season and havent used tbe 734 or the expride since but i still liked the dobyns over the expride i feel the dobyns loads perfectly for any single hool moving bait i personally think the 734 is by far the best chatterbait rod also

14. Member
    I have both of these rods, I have only used the expride with 1/4 swim jig plus a paddle tail trailer, you can feel everything the jig bumps, good power to set the hook and light in hand. The Dobyns 734, unlike others, Its my least favorite Dobyns rod, used it 2-4 times from1/4 oz light flipping to throwing stick baits and spinner baits, I just cant get used to it, it doesnt have the power I expected. It just sits in the rod rack at home now. I like my other Dobyns rods, just not the 734.

15. Member
    734 is just a perfect rod for swim jigs and braid

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    734 is just a perfect rod for swim jigs and braid
    Thx iabass8, you’ve been right on your other rod recommendable as well. I just got the 734c delivered, look forward to using it on the water this week - - I got tired of waiting 2 months for the Expride.

17. Member
    I use the 7'2" heavy moderate fast expride exclusively for swim jigs and absolutely love it! I can't comment on the exact dozens you're referring to, but I did have a champion extreme 703c for a while and it wouldn't even come close to the expride imo. My only complaint on the entire rod is that it didn't come with a keeper for your bait.