Always watch your lure

I had a smallmouth following my crankbait as it came up by the boat, so I gave my rod a twitch then a very short pause and the smallmouth crushed the bait. The only reason I caught that fish is because I was watching my lure when it came into sight.
    I have had this happen many times before but it happened again last weekend. Always watch your lure when it comes up by the boat, because sometimes you can pick up a bonus fish.

GMR5-10-02_Moment.jpg
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

2. Member
    Also happens a lot when striper fishing only then it can scare the crap out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Also happens a lot when striper fishing only then it can scare the crap out of you.
    Had that happen several times with Musky. Now THAT will definitely scare the crap out of you too.

4. Member
    During a tournament caught a smallmouth and as I was putting it in the Live well my popper was still in the water just dragging on the surface and another small keeper grabbed it and I picked my rod and swung into the boat. One cast two in the box!
    Red Sox in 6!

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Last Friday I reeled my worm in quick to make another cast and a 2 pounder bit half the worm off as I was pulling it out of the water! This is excellent advice! I lose my concentration and let my mind wander at times...and this is what happens!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    I've caught many fish like that. But I've also broke my line on hook set with the fish that close, especially bigger ones. If you can remember, don't jack them as hard when you catch a follower close to the boat.
    2018 Triton 18TRX
    2018 Mercury 175 Optimax ProXS

7. Member
    Caught my PB last year like that. Was reeling my Z craw in and happened to look down right as it came into sight and she was following it. I didn't see her until I had pulled it out of the water (stained water). I quickly pushed the thumbar down and flipped my bait back in the water about 10' from the boat and she crushed it! 8.66 pounds!

8. Im wishin I was fishin
    I have caught 2 on jigs that I was just ready to pull out of the water saw them coming up under it and dropped the bait back down bingo !

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    Had that happen several times with Musky. Now THAT will definitely scare the crap out of you too.
    Sounds like you don't musky fish much....

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scstarr View Post
    I have caught 2 on jigs that I was just ready to pull out of the water saw them coming up under it and dropped the bait back down bingo !
    Done that a bunch with spots.

Quote Originally Posted by baysdad View Post
    I've caught many fish like that. But I've also broke my line on hook set with the fish that close, especially bigger ones. If you can remember, don't jack them as hard when you catch a follower close to the boat.
    Great advise!
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

I was throwing a buzzbait for SM one AM. Had three hits on one cast and I was cranking up to cast again. Just as it came up off the water a huge pike blew up and darn near just fell in the boat. I darn near went over the other side. I wouldn’t have had a chance on 8# line but it was sure eye opening. Those were fun days.

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    The hookset advice is dead on!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Ditto with Pike... and You usually get a bath with it..

15. Banned
    We have a few lakes in the pnw that creeks run through that hold some big salmon and steelhead in the spring and ive caught multiple salmon over 10 pounds with less then ten feet of line out but that was mostly on a 110 so your watching the last few feet regardless also caught this 10.6 rainbow on a vision 20200523_201107.jpg20200523_201107.jpg