Helix 10 side image question

Port side side imaging is clear and works fine but starboard side turns dark with very little clarity...also my sonar will barely pick up bottom...do I have a bad transducer or is my helix 10 need fixing.. added attachment below.
    Last edited by rangerfanz21; 05-11-2020 at 08:34 PM.

2. Member

3. Member
    try trimming up your motor while moving, your motor might be blocking . I do mine and it helps.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Carroll View Post
    try trimming up your motor while moving, your motor might be blocking . I do mine and it helps.
    That just means you should get another transducer and a y cable.

Also, if that helps him, it means whoever installed the unit didn't read the manual.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post

Also, if that helps him, it means whoever installed the unit didn't read the manual.
    mine is not that bad, but if I trim motor up a little the right side gets brighter, I didn't install mine, it's new, so do you think mine is bad also.

6. Member
    not a very good pic, is my transducer mounted wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member

barely see the other side
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member

Not necessarily. It means he should trim up his motor. It isn't possible to avoid having the lower unit of the motor interfere with the "line of sight" of the transducer in every situation.

9. Member
    The 9 M SILR Y cable allows you to use two SI transducers; one on left and one on right side of engine to avoid interference from the engine. As long as you know the imaging is blocked by the engine and ok with raising it to improve it then no need to use the y-cable with two transducers. Some users prefer not to have to trim engine up to get the performance. Generally transom transducers are installed to right of engine to avoid prop wash or turbulent water that can impair the performance but if left side works for you then good (installation manual).
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    The 9 M SILR Y cable allows you to use two SI transducers; one on left and one on right side of engine to avoid interference from the engine. As long as you know the imaging is blocked by the engine and ok with raising it to improve it then no need to use the y-cable with two transducers. Some users prefer not to have to trim engine up to get the performance. Generally transom transducers are installed to right of engine to avoid prop wash or turbulent water that can impair the performance but if left side works for you then good (installation manual).
    I'm tracking now, I don't know why they mounted mine on the left side, I wanted it on the side away from my ladder, I might get another mounting block and move it. makes sense about prop wash. thanks for your input.

11. Member
    My transducer is located to the right side of motor (starboard)...so the bad image side is not obstructed by anything....that's why I'm wondering if transducer is bad

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerfanz21 View Post
    My transducer is located to the right side of motor (starboard)...so the bad image side is not obstructed by anything....that's why I'm wondering if transducer is bad
    Could be a faulty transducer, or it could be a poor installation. If the transducer isn't level left to right one side will show stronger returns than the other. In your case, since the left looks good and the right is weak, combined with it being mounted to the right of your outboard, I would say it's either a bad transducer, or the transducer is tipped lower on the left side.

Another benefit of multiple transducers (using the y cable) is that you can tilt each transducer independently of the other. With a single transducer, level is the best you can hope for - and level is quite easily thrown off depending how your boat is loaded (heavy cooler, extra passenger(s), etc. With two separate transducers, you can aim the left side down just a hair, and the right one down just a hair the other way. Makes a big difference.