2001 187 tournament splash well

Was there a year champion phased out the splash well? I'm a little weary of that transom area after the 202 I posted on here last week. If you guys have any other info on the 187 while you're here let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    What do you want to know? I actually had to look really hard, I thought that was a picture of my boat. It's almost identical.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    What do you want to know? I actually had to look really hard, I thought that was a picture of my boat. It's almost identical.
    Well my initial post was just about the splash well, is it normal for this year to not have one? It looks like it is just flat... Other than that I'm sort of curious if you have any reference of its performance compared to a 181 (only other champ I've been in).

4. Member
    my '99 203 does not have a splashwell. That made replacing the transom much easier/cheaper I was told.

5. Member
    Performance will come down to motor hp. The 187 is rated for a 175 but you see a lot of them with a 150. I would want one with the 175 if possible.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    Performance will come down to motor hp. The 187 is rated for a 175 but you see a lot of them with a 150. I would want one with the 175 if possible.
    This one has a 150 vmax. Unfortunately the guy already has someone coming to buy it. These champs are selling like hotcakes right now! I guess that's what I get for shopping in the spring...

Pretty sure the splash wells were on the CX models. Elite models had a different top cap. Consoles had upgraded bezels and layout in addition to the flat back with no splash well. I have a 2001 187.

8. Member
    My 98 187 looks just like that, no splash well.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ187elite View Post
    My 98 187 looks just like that, no splash well.
    I think I like the look without the splash well... Have you ever noticed that you take on more water not having a splash well? I'll fish in some pretty choppy water and I don't want waves constantly filling the boat from behind.

The only time I used to get water up on the back deck was when I was learning to drive mine. Or rather, slow her down and goose her when coming off plane. Can't say enough good things about 187s. I don't know how much gear everyone else is hauling, but I have plenty of room for mine. I check my transom regularly and it is still solid.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzd3 View Post
    I think I like the look without the splash well... Have you ever noticed that you take on more water not having a splash well? I'll fish in some pretty choppy water and I don't want waves constantly filling the boat from behind.
    I rarely seen water come over the back, when it does happen its when I was coming off plane (Much like what Roy described above)

12. Member
    The 187 is a nimble hull. The 150 hp properly set up without overloading will produce 59-62 mph. The elite models were rated for 175 and will of course perform better. Water won't flood the back deck unless you flood it. With a little practice it will always be dry.
    GETFISHED !!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    The 187 is a nimble hull. The 150 hp properly set up without overloading will produce 59-62 mph. The elite models were rated for 175 and will of course perform better. Water won't flood the back deck unless you flood it. With a little practice it will always be dry.
    So not all 187's are rated up to 175? What makes the elite model special so that it can take the extra hp?

14. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzd3 View Post
    So not all 187's are rated up to 175? What makes the elite model special so that it can take the extra hp?
    My guess is marketing ... you want the max HP, buy an Elite.

15. Member
    I would think all 187’s are rated up to a 175 regardless of cx or Elite.

16. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    There was a year where there were several 187s and one was 150 rated. I forget which year, but it was simply an economy version. Identical hulls etc. They did the same thing with the 183 in later years.