Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Straight shank snelled vs EWG flipping

Hey guys. I have been flipping and pitching with EWG Superline Gammys. Last weekend I switched to my buddy’s set up with a 4/0 straight shank, snelled, and my hook up ratio went DOWN a lot! Even on small fish I wasn’t landing them.

My rod, 7’6”, is plenty strong...it’s a custom build that is a great rod. 50lb Sufix 832, which I’ve used for a good while now.

The only difference is I usually flip beaver style baits, and stick worms are working now.

We have a tourney Sunday and I’m stuck between going back to my 5/0 ewg Superline or sticking with the straight shank since the “good fisherman” use them.

Any ideas or thoughts?

fyi: yes I am hooking the fish but I’m not penetrating the mouth fully. They’re hitting it on the fall under THICK grass and swimming before detection so I’m know I’m not getting a straight line between the fish and my rod. I know I’m gonna have to start setting the hook as if every fish is 15lbs, this stuff is thick!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    Only question, why did you switch? I know “everybody” uses a straight shank Snelled but I don’t. I stick with the gammy superline EWG and it just doesn’t let me down, if it wasn’t broke don’t tip the scales out of your favor... just my opinion
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I use a snelled straight shank flipping hook on everything, EXCEPT beaver style baits. An EWG seems to fit that style of bait so well that I just stick with it. BTW, if you want, you can snell an EWG.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Stick to what you’re confident with! I tried the straight shank hooks and my hookups went down too. I like using brush hogs, put that on straight shank and there isn’t much of a gap for the plastic to fold into. Some swear by straight shank but I’ll stick to EWG.

Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Only question, why did you switch? I know “everybody” uses a straight shank Snelled but I don’t. I stick with the gammy superline EWG and it just doesn’t let me down, if it wasn’t broke don’t tip the scales out of your favor... just my opinion
    Great points here I have not switched to straight shank either because what I'm using is not a problem.

6. Member
    I tried my first snell knot on straight shank hook last week. Made a pitch, tick, and the line moved off. Big fish bite. Set the hook and broke off at knot. I know many swear by the snell knot, but I’m done.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

7. Banned
    I flip 90% of the time with soft plastics just because that is what I love to do and I have tried every possible combo you can imagine. I have the same results that you describe with the straight shank hooks and snell knot. I have tried hitting the fish real hard with the hook set and all different ways with no real improvement. My best setup is using a heavy Gama round bend hook 4/0 to 5/0 depend on size of bait. I hardly lose any fish with this setup. If I can give you one piece of advise use what works for you.

8. Member
    If you aren't setting every hook as though it's a 15lber that's one problem. How you set the hook is key, make sure the line is tight, and pull as hard as you can, don't try to "pop" on the hookset. I have tremendous success with the straight shank and will never go back, you just have to learn the intricacies, like any other technique.

And to the guy above, maybe this is obvious, but you tied a bad knot or had a weak spot in the line. I haven't broke a snell knot in 22 years from 8lb mono to 80lb braid

Good thread

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

10. Member
    Yea, I can't get on board with the straight shank / snell combo either. Give me a good VMC Heavy Duty Wide Gap and I'm happy. Another great option for bulky plastics is the Owner Wide Gap Plus.

11. Member
    Ive tried both hooks and also seem to loose a few with both
    Last year I made some Tokyo rigs with a little heavier weight and real feel my hook and catch ratio went up
    Still playing with hooks on it but both seem to work just fine

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks Guys, the reason I tried the straight shank is because everyone uses it! IF I could change something and get a better hook up percentage I’m all for it! Plus my buddy is doing very well with the straight shank/snell. It was an experiment based off of him doing so well with it and now I’m just confused because for some reason it’s simply not working for me.

I have always loved my Gammy Superline EWGs in either 4/0 or 5/0 for flipping. I straighten other hooks. The reason I started kinda popping the hookset was because I did my normal hookset ...and a 2lb mudfish went over my head ! I thought I was getting a little out of hand and potentially setting the hook too hard.

Don't get me wrong, I didn’t lose every fish or anything, but I had so many on for a few seconds then they’re off and I’m hooked to the bottom of the vegetation, and it’s near impossible to unhook from this stuff! It’s strong and thick!

TableRock, you tied a bad knot or your line was nicked. The snell knot does not break! I don’t tie it much, but it simply does not break, and I’m only using 4 wraps!

As to the confidence thing...you’re all 100% right! I’m back to the EWGs and I feel kinda dumb even considering using an experiment in a tourney.

I was concerned that I was the ońly one that tried this and had bad results!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Banned
    I think I done exactly what you did. (using them because of peer pressure LOL) I still continue to creep back into wanting to use the straight shank hooks but find that it just doesn't work for me. I'm kind of fat and lazy so I don't set the hook really hard almost do more of a pressure hook set. Land ratio is usually really good for me.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post

And to the guy above, maybe this is obvious, but you tied a bad knot or had a weak spot in the line. I haven't broke a snell knot in 22 years from 8lb mono to 80lb braid
    Point well taken. I did tie a bad knot. That's why I'm done. Gonna use what I always have.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

15. Member
    For distance hook sets, I haven't had much difference. But up close, especially the vertical hooksets, EWG loses way too many. I think its lack of bite in the roof of a big bass is a problem. Snell a straight shank for me. EWG lays better on a bait, just doesn't penetrate properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Thanks Guys, the reason I tried the straight shank is because everyone uses it! IF I could change something and get a better hook up percentage I’m all for it! Plus my buddy is doing very well with the straight shank/snell. It was an experiment based off of him doing so well with it and now I’m just confused because for some reason it’s simply not working for me.

I have always loved my Gammy Superline EWGs in either 4/0 or 5/0 for flipping. I straighten other hooks. The reason I started kinda popping the hookset was because I did my normal hookset ...and a 2lb mudfish went over my head ! I thought I was getting a little out of hand and potentially setting the hook too hard.

Don't get me wrong, I didn’t lose every fish or anything, but I had so many on for a few seconds then they’re off and I’m hooked to the bottom of the vegetation, and it’s near impossible to unhook from this stuff! It’s strong and thick!

TableRock, you tied a bad knot or your line was nicked. The snell knot does not break! I don’t tie it much, but it simply does not break, and I’m only using 4 wraps!

As to the confidence thing...you’re all 100% right! I’m back to the EWGs and I feel kinda dumb even considering using an experiment in a tourney.

I was concerned that I was the ońly one that tried this and had bad results!
    One potential problem with a snell knot is if the hookeye is not completely closed. If there is a tiny gap and the line lays on it. POP! If you find a hook that you want to snell but it has a tiny gap, seal it with epoxy and you're good to go.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    For distance hook sets, I haven't had much difference. But up close, especially the vertical hooksets, EWG loses way too many. I think its lack of bite in the roof of a big bass is a problem. Snell a straight shank for me. EWG lays better on a bait, just doesn't penetrate properly.
    I believe you are spot on with the vertical hookset aspect.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

18. Member
    I choose the Palomar knot for it's strength except for joining lines together. It is also very quick to tie. I also choose a EWG hook because I fell that once I get the hook set that fish is pinned and is not going to throw the hook.

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I also believe I used too small of a straight shank hook. I normally flip a 4/0 or 5/0 SL EWG, and I tried a 4/0 straight shank. It appears to me that straight shank was much closer to what I see as a 3/0. I will go back and try a larger hook and keep experimenting but not during my Sunday tourney!

TableRock, we all tie bad knots! I don’t use a snell much but with 20 minutes and YouTube videos I was pretty good! The real problem is getting the knit off the hook to practice! I did best with 4 wraps. Any more and I couldn’t get the knot to clinch down right. My go to is the Palomar, but I’m always willing to learn.

The gap in the hook eye is super important! The hooks I bought do have an epoxy there but with any soft plastic fishing with braid it seems my line looks for that eye opening and I check it after every fish!

thanks guys.

20. Member
    I use both depending on the situation. I DO NOT snell a straight shank hook. Snell knot caused me more issues than I wanted to deal with. I put a 4/0 VMC or Trokor straight shank on a Berkely Pit Boss if that gives you a point of reference for bait size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast