Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brandon Palaniuk has a video where he talks about why snelling a straight shank may not be the best idea. I always felt like the "lever" action didn't seem like it would be a good thing, but he artciulated it and shows exactly what I had in mind way better than I ever could:

I tie a Palomar on both types of hooks, leave a 1/4" or more tag (because I think a lot of knots break when they slip just a bit and don't have enough tag) and, since I've started clicking the drag just a bit off from being cranked all the way down, can't remember the last bass I broke off while flipping. I like the Superline EWG for most situations, but do go with a straight shank on Elaztech stuff as it will ball up and ruin your day on an EWG. I throw 4/0 in both when flipping.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

2. Member
    I double all my palomar knots and have not had a problem with it slipping through the eye since.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Well the tournament was yesterday and I went back to my 5/0 Gamakatsu Superline hooks. The pattern didn’t change much so we flipped at least 80% of the day. I got 2nd place (coangler), but wow what a difference! I still missed a few but I nailed 85% of the flipping bass and they were all hooked very well!

Im sure I will experiment more before our next tourney on the 30th but I will use at least a 5/0 straight shank instead of the 4/0 (flipping a 4.25” stick o) and I will not snell. We’ll see if those changes can equal or better my landing %.

And YES I went back to crossing their eyes on the hookset!

Thanks everyone!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Well the tournament was yesterday and I went back to my 5/0 Gamakatsu Superline hooks. The pattern didn’t change much so we flipped at least 80% of the day. I got 2nd place (coangler), but wow what a difference! I still missed a few but I nailed 85% of the flipping bass and they were all hooked very well!

Im sure I will experiment more before our next tourney on the 30th but I will use at least a 5/0 straight shank instead of the 4/0 (flipping a 4.25” stick o) and I will not snell. We’ll see if those changes can equal or better my landing %.

And YES I went back to crossing their eyes on the hookset!

Thanks everyone!
    No matter the hook style or the knot, always cross their eyes!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    I personally use a snell w/ a closed eye straight shank hook. W/ any single hook hookset you ratio of lands will improve dramatically by setting the hook to the side vs, vertically. On a short line, especially w/ heavy line, and more especially w/ a heavy weight you pull the fishes mouth open on a vertical hookset. Try it, you'll like it!!

If I'm flipping and pitching it's with a snelled strait shank hook, unless its a straight tail worm. For me I find the hook up ratio to be a lot higher. I suspect a lot of it has to do with each persons hook set technique. Now open water, dragging is a different story. Then it's EWG all day long.
    USMC Vet!

One thing I've noticed is that my hookups with a snelled straight shank went way up when I stopped setting the hook like I do with a ewg. With the snelled hook it's get tight and a powerful lean/pull.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Hey guys. I have been flipping and pitching with EWG Superline Gammys. Last weekend I switched to my buddy’s set up with a 4/0 straight shank, snelled, and my hook up ratio went DOWN a lot! Even on small fish I wasn’t landing them.

Prior to answering, I need to know that I won't receive some sort of bill for 'Billable Hours'?

Next time You find these give them a try:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Haya...page-FPPS.html

The bait keeper is made of nylon w/a closed line tie.

44Tackle™ has them in the new shop.

Or...

Bring $22k (in cash) and there are a few packs in my Ranger™ take the boat and all the gear in it (sans the Wife's rod and my Megabass™)

9. Banned
    I agree with chad i beleive snelling your knots causes the hook to interfere with the wieght making a super hard hookset blow the fishes mouthopen and the hook point in a bad spot i know everyone says you should snell your flippin rig but its all on your technique and fishing style one works for some people and other hinders them fishing is a learning experience and we all have to find whats right for ourselves

10. Banned
    Owner twistlock flipping hook zowire so its smaller and its got the silky coating its a great hook and your plastic cant ball up on the hook but you cant snell it

11. Member
    I think snelling with a straight shank is much more for a more vertical hookset closer quarters, and I find with a snelled straight shank I set the hook like a mat fish and just get tight and pullback. I think if you blast a fish with a snelled straight shank you can pop his mouth open. If im pitching away from the boat or more open water stuff then I will go with an EWG. The hook up percentage for me with an EWG when im fishing a little ways away from the boat is huge. Just my two cents. I think everyone has their opinion based on how they set the hook and the cover they fish.

12. Member
    So how would a snelled straight shank do around wood? Downed trees? Seems like you'd get hung up a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12