Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Boyscout - Okeechobee

Anyone know if Boyscout cut is passable? At what water level does it become become a no-go? It dropped again to 11.20 as of today, which is the lowest I've seen this year.

2. Member
    I'm not doing this to be rude but to make a point. NO IT IS NOT PASSABLE. You WILL get stuck.
    There was a guide that got stuck badly a few weeks ago when there was more water than that, he should have known better.
    IMO around 12.25 and under you are risking it. If you stop around that level in the wrong spot on the boyscout trail you will be pushing your boat. Lower than that you might not be pushing you might just be sitting.
    Last edited by Arethaz; 05-12-2020 at 08:38 PM.

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arethaz View Post
    I'm not doing this to be rude but to make a point. NOT IT IS NOT PASSABLE. You WILL get stuck.
    There was a guide that got stuck badly a few weeks ago when there was more water than that, he should have known better.
    IMO around 12.25 and under you are risking it. If you stop around that level in the wrong spot on the boyscout trail you will be pushing your boat. Lower than that you might not be pushing you might just be sitting.
    Wow thanks good to know. I had never run it before and was curious.

I've run some very shallow sand/muck on the MS River where the whole boat boat lifts up another 3"+ due to it being so skinny. Kinda makes a pinch of water under the boat that allows you ride super shallow with a JP. You know when the boat lifts in shallow water that you're sanding the skeg clean of paint and CANNOT set down. I'd be willing to try this if boyscout was all sand and muck with 1.2-1.5' of water. If it gets under 1' in places with rock/gravel, it would be a no-go in my book.

4. Member
    Another consideration is wind direction. Once an area gets risky, you have to consider that the wind can add or remove water in a lake this big. However, Arethaz is very correct, you can not use that trail at this level. Hopefully they drop the lake at least 3 more feet for a while.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    Another consideration is wind direction. Once an area gets risky, you have to consider that the wind can add or remove water in a lake this big. However, Arethaz is very correct, you can not use that trail at this level. Hopefully they drop the lake at least 3 more feet for a while.
    People don’t get that but it would be the best thing that’s happened to the lake in a long time

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    you have to consider that the wind can add or remove water in a lake this big.
    That is why said Guide got stuck. Water left.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    That is why said Guide got stuck. Water left.
    He would have gotten stuck regardless of wind direction. It was around 11.5 when he got stuck. Un-passable in a full size bass boat.
    But I agree it was blowing hard out of the south, I didn't fish that day because of that. And I typically don't care how hard it's blowing. But with super low water and no where to hide. I rather stay home.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinCustody View Post
    People don’t get that but it would be the best thing that’s happened to the lake in a long time
    I completely agree. Without last years drop we wouldn't have had the acres of eel grass that came back this year. I bet when the water returns there will be more new growth.

9. Member
    It is amazing the amount of water that will leave an area though. I have seen Harny Pond Canal drop a foot or more after launching in the morning.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    Wow thanks good to know. I had never run it before and was curious.

I've run some very shallow sand/muck on the MS River where the whole boat boat lifts up another 3"+ due to it being so skinny. Kinda makes a pinch of water under the boat that allows you ride super shallow with a JP. You know when the boat lifts in shallow water that you're sanding the skeg clean of paint and CANNOT set down. I'd be willing to try this if boyscout was all sand and muck with 1.2-1.5' of water. If it gets under 1' in places with rock/gravel, it would be a no-go in my book.
    Lower unit repair guys love that attitude. GO FOR IT. p.s there is a lot of rock in the BIG O
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

11. Member
    The lake is dropping and the spraying is still happening just seems as the water has been dropping the spraying is going further out in lake?a friend saw a harvested being used here

12. Member
    The lake should come up after this storm. Think I heard up to 4 inches of rain!
    Russell Winneberger
    2002 Stratos 20 XL
    ColorVision Painting

13. Member
    I hope you are right about the eel grass coming back but if it is like Lake Kissimmee the FWC already has it in their cross hairs..

14. Moderator
    I found huge patches of eelgrass this year. Beautiful stuff. But its in very shallow water!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    I hope you are right about the eel grass coming back but if it is like Lake Kissimmee the FWC already has it in their cross hairs..
    I saw a crew of migrant workers planting eel grass in Lake Kissimmee last week.

16. Member
    At 11.3 I bent the hell out of a new 3 blade prop running over a hundred yards off of indian prairie! I would be careful in 7 mile cut also!
    2014 Z119c
    225 Pro X\S
    Lowrance
    Powerpoles

17. Member
    I’ve been wondering myself if 7 mile cut was passable. Headed there next week.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Washtub View Post
    NO!!
    Livin the dream
    2013 Legend 211
    250 Pro Xs

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset5 View Post
    At 11.3 I bent the hell out of a new 3 blade prop running over a hundred yards off of indian prairie! I would be careful in 7 mile cut also!
    You should've been more like 500 yards offshore......

Quote Originally Posted by Washtub View Post
    Jesus NO!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast