Thread: Custom Jig rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Custom Jig rod

I'm looking for someone to build me a custom 7' or 7'3 jig rod, I mainly fish with 3/8 oz. jigs, I'm looking for a rod with minimal line guides and wraps to cut down on weight, sensitivity, Light weight and still have a good back bone would be key.
    I had a guy custom build a jig rod as mentioned years back with a G-loomis blank and it was this best jig rod I've ever had, He is now no longer building rods and from my understanding G-loomis blanks are no longer available to rod builders.
    Any suggestions? I'm sure one of you rod builders could accommodate.

Thanks
    Last edited by jigman1962; 05-11-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Gary Loomis is still in business under the name NorthFork Composites.

Without knowing for sure what you had built previously, I would venture to say that it was a MB843. Either a IM6 or IMX probably.

Did the builder not put the sticker on the blank for future reference? Can you call them and see what they built?

Minimum guides and wraps are a great thing. Excess weight is a known sensitivity killer.

Was this a spinning rod or casting rod?

EDIT TO ADD: One of the country's best rod builders is right up the road from you in Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga area) and has built rods for Presidents and many celebrities over the years. I once worked for him and know him very well. He is an honest and reliable person who can deliver you a great rod at a fair price. Check his website and then give him a call. His name is John Miles. His website is jmilescustomrods.com The pictures and articles on his website speak for themselves. Like I said ... he knows his stuff and will treat you right.
    Last edited by Hair Jig; 05-11-2020 at 02:46 PM.

3. Member
    Armadillo Custom Rods & Tackle Service
    Custom Rod Building, Factory Authorized Rod & Reel Repair Center
    armadillocustomrods@hotmail.com
    5264 Hwy 24 East
    Sandersville , GA , 31082
    Phone: 478-552-8502
    Fax: 478-553-9363

4. Member
    A lot of options for a good jig blank these days. Years ago GLoomis, Croix and Shikari were the best you could get. Two of those are no longer around.

As Drew said Loomis is part of NFC now, great blanks if you can get them. I haven't ordered from them in over a year due to delivery and quality issues. I've heard it's gotten better though. I personally prefer the HM line over the Xray. I'd recommend the MB705HM from them for 3/8oz jigs (MB706HM if you like your rods stouter). MB705 is what I use a lot of the time for 1/4 and 3/8oz jigs. Half oz and up I'm usually throwing it on a flip stick. The SJ705HM or SJ706HM are nice too for what you're looking for.

Another great option would be a Hydra FL4NG, light flip blank comes at 7'6" but you can cut it to 7'3" no problem. Pretty sure COVID is impacting them though. Last I checked they were out of stock on pretty much everything.

Rod Geeks sells the Croix SCV's and the MHF is an awesome jig rod. Again though last I checked not shipping because of COVID.

Lately I've really been liking the Phenix blanks I've gotten. You can't really go by their ratings though as they are under powered for what they rate them. For a Phenix jig rod you're going to want a Heavy. MX72H or FTX71H would be my choice from them. I've got an order coming from them that I ordered like 3 weeks ago and still don't have it.

Consider having it built spiral to cut down on guides/weight too.

5. Member
    Thanks For the information guys

6. Member
    Don't overlook point blank either. On par with the nfc x ray
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    Don't overlook point blank either. On par with the nfc x ray
    Yep, really nice blanks as well.

Maybe give us a call... long time board sponsor...

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Another great option would be a Hydra FL4NG, light flip blank comes at 7'6" but you can cut it to 7'3" no problem. Pretty sure COVID is impacting them though. Last I checked they were out of stock on pretty much everything.
    OS is in stock. We are out of stock on NG because the demand for finished rods is has our capacity maxxed right now. All blanks are going into ALX Rods for the time being.

We are still building customs on NG blanks.

No issues with shipping at all here.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    OS is in stock. We are out of stock on NG because the demand for finished rods is has our capacity maxxed right now. All blanks are going into ALX Rods for the time being.

We are still building customs on NG blanks.

No issues with shipping at all here.
    I was just referring the the ability to order the blank. Glad to hear you guys are busy!

11. Member
    Cidgrad I sent an e-mail through your web-site.
    Thank You

12. Member
    NFC X -RAY 736 would fit the bill. Point blank is another nice option. I have a Point Blank 701MHF that I use for jigs and it's outstanding.

ALX makes super nice rods too. They just revamped their ENOX series using usa made blanks and they appear to be top of the line as well. Honestly at the price they're selling for I'm pretty sure they'll easily outperform that price point.

13. Member
    How are the point blank blanks? I heard rating issues in the beginning had that been resolved?
    Nitro z21

14. Member
    One thing you might want to think about when having a custom jig rod built is rod balance. The tip of the rod needs to point up when the reel is in your hand. This will help with fitgue when flipping all day. Some of my customers are surprised when I tell them that I might have to put 1/4 oz of weight in the butt of the rod to get the tip up on a rod over 7'

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
    I might have to put 1/4 oz of weight in the butt of the rod to get the tip up on a rod over 7'
    How is this accomplished?

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

16. Member
    I use led tape that I get from a golf pro shop. I roll up the amount needed and insert it in to the butt of the blank and secure it with.epoxy. The length of the handle and weight of the reel will determine how much is needed

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    How are the point blank blanks? I heard rating issues in the beginning had that been resolved?
    I believe it was just the 701MHF since I haven't heard complaints about their other blanks. They were off by one power with that one. Kind of disappointed in mine since I was looking for a MH, and it feels closer to a H, but I found a use for it. Great blank though, won't be getting rid of it.

18. Member
    I use cylindrical tungsten weights for when I need to add weight to the butt of the rod to get the rod/ reel combination to balance. I use a polyurethane foam insert like you'd use to install a reel seat. I sand it's OD down so it will fit inside the blank, and I ream the its ID so the worm weights will fit in. I then epoxy that set up inside the butt of the rod. If I need to change or want to take the weight out, just cut off the butt cap and use a pick to chip the foam insert out and it comes right out.

Also, we as rod builders should know better than to go by the named powers that rod and blank manufacturers assign to their rods and blanks. If you look at the specs for the Point Blank 701MHF, it clearly, at least IMO, has the specs of what would be considered a heavy power rod. 3/8 - 1 1/4 oz weights for a freshwater bass rod, is heavy power all day, every day.
    Last edited by Bassbme; 05-24-2020 at 06:04 AM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    Also, we as rod builders should know better than to go by the named powers that rod and blank manufacturers assign to their rods and blanks. If you look at the specs for the Point Blank 701MHF, it clearly, at least IMO, has the specs of what would be considered a heavy power rod. 3/8 - 1 1/4 oz weights for a freshwater bass rod, is heavy power all day, every day.
    Point blank tells you the rda and ccs numbers of their blanks. The rda (rod data analysis) of the PB701MHF was off by 100grams, that's about one whole power.. Weight of the blank was also off by 0.3oz as well. They've updated it on their site btw, at least on the hard specs part.

20. Member
    ogrich31, I pulled the specs for the PB701MHF off their web site just prior to making post, so those lure weight ratings are evidently up to date. My point is that the named powers given by manufacturers are subjective. As an example. I have a rod I built on a Rainshadow Immortal IMMC72MH blank. Labeled as medium heavy power, but with a lure weight rating of 3/8 - 1 oz, and line weight 12 - 20# test. Most medium heavy power blanks or rods that I've looked at or owned would have a lure weight rating of 1/4 - 3/4 oz and line weights in the same 12 - 20# range. I've done CCS test for most of the rods I've built. As I think ERN is a horrible way to post the power of a rod, I measure the IP in grams. The IP for the rod I built on the IMMC72MH is 1079 gr. I'm sure you'd call a rod with that kind of IP a heavy power rod.

The RDA specs that Point Blank uses are a different animal compared to CCS. CCS uses the entire length of the rod. RDA uses from the reel seat to the tip. As a result, RDA numbers are always going to be lower than CCS numbers. As an example. I have another rod I built on an Immortal IMMC73ML blank. Named medium light power but with a 3/16 - 5/8 oz lure weight rating. So pretty much medium power in any other rod, or blank. The IP for the IMMC73ML using CCS is 605 gr. I'd call that medium power.

My point is that named powers don't mean a whole lot, it's the specs that we should go by. And even the specs don't always tell the true story. It would be nice of blank manufactures supplied CCS numbers. I know it would make it a lot easier to choose rod blanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast