Thread: Steering torque

Steering torque

I have a 2016 Tracker 190 with the 115 four stroke with a Spitfire X7 19p prop. At 5000 rpm the steering is easy to turn but when I trim the engine to get the rpm up to 6000 the steering gets much stiffer, is this normal and can anything be done to correct it?

I notice the new 4 strokes dont have the torque tab on the cav plate that you can adjust like the optis had. That made a big difference. Engine height and trim vs throttle input are about your only options. Its common on cable sterring to have a little stiffness at full trim but it should be managable. Often trim effects it more than anything if you bump it up or down does it change at all.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    Hello Roy, I hope you and your Dad are enjoying your new ride. The only thing I can do is trim it back down to where the engine will only run 5000 or 5200 and then it is like it has power steering. Sometimes I like to ride at wot and I would like for it to steer a little easier.

Unfortunately, that is the normal for cable steering systems. Not much you can do unless you wanted to convert to BayStar or SeaStar.

5. Member
    Thanks, I might need to run at 40 or 45 mph instead of 50. It's not a big deal I was just wondering if that was normal.

Yes we are enjoying it alot. You can still run wot and its good to sometimes but thats kore for straight lines anyways then if you come up to a curve just trim down and bit. Alot of guys dont see the beed but i love a trim gauge i had reference points on the gauge for different conditions and it was easy to trim and glance down. Still drive that way its very convenient.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Member
    I might get a hydraulic steering kit, are there any sponsors that sell them?