Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LSS 1 transducer with HDS 7 gen 3 problems

I purchased an HDI skimmer (83/200 & 455/800) for downscan and 2D sonar, but made the mistake of glassing it in the bilge. The 2D worked fine, but the downscan was pretty worthless. I then purchased a LSS 1 transducer, and mounted it with a transducer shield and saver to my jack plate, as advised. So, now I would like to use only the 83/200 function of my HDI skimmer (for 2D only) that is in by bilge compartment, and use the LSS 1 transducer (which is plugged directly into my HDS structure port) for down and sidescan. I spent a couple of hours on the water today trying to set it up, but the images from the sidescan didn't provide much detail, and the downscan looked like it was still getting it's signal from the HDI skimmer (not good detail here either).
    Here are my questions...
    #1: Is there a way to use the HDI skimmer that is in my bilge as a 2D sonar, only?
    #2: If so, should I identify the HDI as an HST=WSBL, instead of the HDI when selecting the transducer in the installation menu? (I'm thinking that maybe it's still getting the downscan data from the HDI transducer)
    #3: Is it necessary to activate the LSS 1 transducer in my HDS 7 gen 3 menu? (I did not see the LSS 1 in the transducer list on the sonar options)
    #4: What kind of detail can I expect to get (downscan and sidescan) from this setup?

My goal in all of this is to use the LSS 1 for down and sidescan, and the HDI for 2D sonar... and improved detail on the structure screens.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Member
    Change the hdi to hst wsbl under installation tab. That will activate the lss1. I ran a lss1 on a hds 7 gen3 and it did fine. The downscan was good and sidescsn was ok it was usable.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by acwd1950 View Post
    Change the hdi to hst wsbl under installation tab. That will activate the lss1. I ran a lss1 on a hds 7 gen3 and it did fine. The downscan was good and sidescsn was ok it was usable.
    And after you do this, you have to keep in mind that your lss1 transducer could be 12-13 years old. It might not be as good as it was at one time. One of my lss1’s is starting to lack detail.

4. Member
    Thanks acwd1950 and grout-scout. I went with that lss 1 for profile-size reasons, but the age thing did cross my mind.
    One more question: I have a networked HDS 7 gen 2 touch at the bow. Should I be able to view structure scan from the LSS 1 transducer on this unit?
    Thanks again for your help!

5. Banned
    Yes if you have them connected by an Ethernet cable.

Make sure your lss ducer is level (and perfectly parallel with the boat) while at idle speed.

6. Member
    StructureScan is working, after I took acwd1950's advice to "install" HDMI transducer as an hst wsbl. The detail on downscan is very good, and the sidescan quality is enough to make me know that I need to get a larger HDS unit.

I'm still not getting structure scan to the networked HDS 7 gen 2 at the bow. I know the network cable is working because I can see my waypoints and boatlanes (I just added this bow unit, and never loaded any files on it). I'm also not seeing my console unit or any transducers on the network device list (only the fortrex transducer that is attached directly to the unit). Any idea what would make that happen?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sully.s View Post

1. The detail on downscan is very good, and the sidescan quality is enough to make me know that I need to get a larger HDS unit.

2. I'm still not getting structure scan to the networked HDS 7 gen 2 at the bow. I know the network cable is working because I can see my waypoints and boatlanes (I just added this bow unit, and never loaded any files on it). I'm also not seeing my console unit or any transducers on the network device list (only the fortrex transducer that is attached directly to the unit). Any idea what would make that happen?
    1. Welcome to the club. In boating the "three feet sickness" is well know, we always dream of a boat three feet larger then the one we have. But as soon as you start going in depth (pun intended) with sonar, you can add larger screens and better transducers to that list of upsize-dreams. ;)

2. This is typically due to a dying ethernet-cable. You can do a simple test to ensure it is not related to the units; switch the units around and see what happens. Your ethernetcable has a bunch of tiny wires inside, and some of them might be OK while others have broken leaving you with simple data going through (like waypoints) but more complex data (like sonar) stopping.

8. Member
    Thanks, Team Colibri. I have a backup network cable that I can try out next trip. Hope that's it!

9. Member
    Do you have the network sonar turned on on the gen 3 unit? If not turn it on and see if that makes the structure scan show up on the gen 2 unit.

10. Banned
    Do you have the network sonar turned on on the gen 3 unit? If not turn it on and see if that makes the structure scan show up on the gen 2 unit.

Shouldn’t need that option ON, it’ll actually just screw up his bow graph. The LSS will automatically show with Ethernet (if working properly).

Sully, Might need to go into the system advanced menu and make sure your SS option is enabled. Shouldn’t be, but it’s possible that it is turned off to now show up. (It’s not the same menu as the regular transducers, it’s in the system menu, I believe)
    Last edited by grout-scout; 05-12-2020 at 08:18 AM.

11. Member
    I will be back at the boat later this week, and will check the system advanced menu and network cable. I'll post the results.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to help me.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Shouldn’t need that option ON, it’ll actually just screw up his bow graph. The LSS will automatically show with Ethernet (if working properly).

Sully, Might need to go into the system advanced menu and make sure your SS option is enabled. Shouldn’t be, but it’s possible that it is turned off to now show up. (It’s not the same menu as the regular transducers, it’s in the system menu, I believe)
    I thought you had to have the network sonar turned on on the unit you was using as a source?

13. Banned
    I thought you had to have the network sonar turned on on the unit you was using as a source?

Only if they changed something on the newer graphs, it used to just affect the 2d sonar. Typically you choose where to pull the lss ducer from in the SS menu page. But it sounds like he’s not even getting that page to show up, unless I’m misunderstanding his post.

14. Member
    Only if they changed something on the newer graphs, it used to just affect the 2d sonar. Typically you choose where to pull the lss ducer from in the SS menu page. But it sounds like he’s not even getting that page to show up, unless I’m misunderstanding his post.
    That's correct. I'm not getting the SS menu page. Also, the device list on both graphs do not list anything that is not directly plugged into that particular unit. It's like the network cable is allowing me to see chart information like waypoints, routes and trails, but not the devices that should be shared via the network cable.

15. Banned
    Sounds like you will get it fixed when you turn ON the SS in the advanced menu. Turn OFF the “Lowrance backlight” option to conserve battery life while you’re in there. The backlight lets the back of the graph say “Lowrance” in the dark, but it stays on all the time, eats some of the battery juice for nothing.

16. Member
    Good tip grout-scout! I'll report back with the results.

17. Member
    Sounds like you will get it fixed when you turn ON the SS in the advanced menu. Turn OFF the “Lowrance backlight” option to conserve battery life while you’re in there. The backlight lets the back of the graph say “Lowrance” in the dark, but it stays on all the time, eats some of the battery juice for nothing.
    Going off of memory here but.....
    I believe what Mike is referring to is the "Sticker Backlight", accessed in Settings > System > Advanced > Hardware
    That said, I believe it is only applicable to 9" units and above

18. Member
    Update: I connected my backup network cable between my HDS 7 gen 3 (console) and HDS 7 gen 2 (bow) units. I am still getting SS and 2D images on my gen 3, where the LSS-1 transducer is connected directly. However, I am still not getting the SS information to my gen 2 at the bow. I am getting the Structure option on the pages screen, and will actually get a black SS image when I select that option (it will even toggle between DS and Side Scan views), but where the image should be is black. When I select source on the SS menu, I am not given the option to access the LSS-1 transducer or the gen 3, console unit. Is it possible that both of my network cables, which are pretty old, are faulty? I should note that I am able to access 2D and temperature from the gen 3 unit on the bow/gen 2.

Any Ideas on what I could be missing?

Through the help of all of you, along with time spent on the units, I am slowly becoming more comfortable and familiar with the system. Thank you all for your help!

19. Member
    Just to be sure, when you say network cable, you are talking about a grey Ethernet cable correct? When you select Source on the Structure menu on your Gen 2 is there any option? This should be a no brainer and since there really isn’t anything that can go wrong other than a bad Ethernet cable I’m going to suggest a full reset. But I would do it in steps:
    1. Make sure you are connected by Ethernet
    2. Save a waypoint on the console unit and make sure it transfers to the bow unit.
    3. Turn off console unit and disconnect the Ethernet from both units.
    4. Back up any settings, routes, and trails you want to keep.
    5. Update to the latest Gen 2 software
    6. Do a hard reset.
    7. Reconnect the Ethernet cables, turn on the console unit, turn on the bow unit

Check your Structure source on the console. It the LSS 1 is connected directly, select This Unit. If connected through a module, select LSS1. Now check the Structure page on the bow and see if any sources are available.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

20. Member
    Thanks, NoCAL. Yes, the units are connected with the gray ethernet cable. I don't believe I have an option when I select source on the structure menu on the Gen 2... For sure not the option to select the LSS-1 transducer or the console gen 3 unit, where the transducer is directly connected (no module). I'll follow the steps you provided to update the software and reset the gen 2 unit. To confirm, no hard reset should be necessary on the gen 3 unit, correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast