01 Bumble Bee 2100 No Top End Speed..

I have a '01 2100 pro sport that I bought as a hull/trailer, put an 05 225 Evinrude on it. Boat had a 225 Merc on it before, previous owner said it ran 70+ when he had it running. But he had the transom rebuilt with composite and I'm wondering if that has affected the boat at all.. Ran 4 props, 26 & 28p rakers and 25 & 26 fury 3 blades turning them all around 57-5800rpm, with the same results just some holeshot differences. Seems like the boat gets to about 55 and just hits a wall. Not much lift.. Hydraulic jackplate, prop to pad seems to be around 4.5" all the day down, likes that the best. Getting a little frustrated, any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Pat Goff
    You've got something going on, most certainly.

You're just not supposed to do what you've described, there should be 300-400 difference in rpms when you change two pitch sizes.

Not enough details to give any manner of internet advice, I'd make sure the motor is putting out 100% before I took another step.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    If your numbers are correct thats about 25% prop slip. Somethings not adding up. Tach may be off, throttle cable not adjusted correctly, speedo or gps?

4. Member
    Yeah if I'm trusting the previous owner, something must be up with the motor or throttle. The tach seems to be accurate from what I've seen. I get similar rpms messing with the plate/trim levels. Should probably have the motor checked on here and see if I can rule that out. Other problem I think is that the boat runs pretty flat..

5. Member
    If the transom was replaced due to water Saturation Then there is a good chance the entire boat is water logged and is very heavy now . No lift ,prop slipping and no top end sounds heavy to me .

6. Member
    Yeah that's kind of my worst fear.. The wood was removed and replaced with composite like i said, and found out it was worked on twice and some of the stringers were redone the 2nd time and that's about all i know. Previous owner still says it ran well after all the work was done.. Just not sure lol
    Last edited by Jgoodbassin; 05-11-2020 at 09:00 AM.

7. Member
    I had the same boat. I put a transom in it and while down kept digging. Ended up with new stringers, transom, floor, knee braces and foam. It's a lot of work but wood done correctly is very strong. Mine had 225 Merc EFI. 25 - 27 Tempest was the best for this setup, 70+. The only reason I got rid of mine was I wanted new electronics, new tm, new engine. Just got new boat instead!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

8. Member
    Tempest was going to be my last prop to try but probably won't make much difference unfortunately.

9. Member
    Take it to a certified scale and weigh it then compare it to what it's supposed to weigh

10. Member
    Yeah that's an option I should probably look into also

11. Member
    Boat needs a 15" Jack plate and she will ride! had same issue with my 01 2100. Went from 12" plate at best 66/67 mph to 73/74 with just adding two inch spacers. orderd a 15" plate from steve at Hydrodynamics and what a difference. Ask Jeff at phoenix if you want another opinion. He was in the design of the bee and said same thing. MORE SETBACK is all they need and they will ride. They are hard to stay on pad with there length.

12. Banned
    Pat's correct 4 props with very little change means something is off with the motor.

13. Member
    What does 70+ "when he had it running" mean? Those kind of statements always set me to thinking. Transom replaced? Did he soak it or just flat out break it. I wonder how much wood is soaked. Stringers? floors? Who put in the transom? Possibly they put some hook in the tail when it was rebuilt? Lots of flags here.

14. Member
    Hmm more set back is interesting.. I believe it has a 10 pr a 12" on it now.. I will have to order some spacers and see if makes a difference. Found a 24p fury 4 blade andthat's the best prop I've ran on it yet. Noticeably more lift and a few more mph and great holeshot. But still can't break that 60mph mark. I don't think the motor is the main issue. Other than maybe being underpowered being a non HO motor also.. Transom wise it was replaced with composite, all the wood was removed i believe. I think it had cracked then found the wood was bad. I also measured the transom, from the top motor mounting edge down to the bottom of the pad and found it was arpund 24.5".. Doesn't that seem a little tall for a boat like this? Being a 20" shaft motor may not be ideal? Like i said before it runs best all the way down on the plate..