Transom Weld removal

My 2018 X19 has a weld on the second step of the pad parallel to the transom. It protrudes a 1/4” below the pad. I know a few guys have removed it. I have 3 questions regarding it’s removal.....

1. What did you use to remove it?

2. Did you remove all of it?

3. Did you notice any bad effects on handling? ... Porpoising, etc

The weld bead is to eliminate porpoising. Some hulls need it, some dont. If you want to remove it, you can use a grinder but be careful not to remove too much and expose the joint.
    Normally 1/8" is all you need to eliminate porposing. I would at least knock that 1/4" down a little.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

3. Member
    I’ll try it

If youll go look at a new one it has the same height bead but only half of the step. Pattern after that and youll stop the porpoising but itll still fly the bow up past that point

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

5. Member
    A grinder with a flapper wheel works best with aluminum. If you use a ferrous grinding wheel it will plug up quick. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    I ground the whole weld down to about an 1/8”. Then I put epoxy between the hull and the weld to act as a ramp. Not sure if that was necessary, but I picked up 4 mph. Crazy!!... No porpoising either. I’ve spent 2 years trying to get this boat to do 70 and now it finally will. Thanks for the help

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1GThompson View Post
    I ground the whole weld down to about an 1/8”. Then I put epoxy between the hull and the weld to act as a ramp. Not sure if that was necessary, but I picked up 4 mph. Crazy!!... No porpoising either. I’ve spent 2 years trying to get this boat to do 70 and now it finally will. Thanks for the help
    Do you have ay pic's of the finial outcome, looking to do this hen I get home rom my hitch.
    2014 Xpress X-19 Pro Yammy VMAX 175 HDPI

I removed the welds on my X19 and I ended up with a high speed porpoise. I had to pay to have it put back on and painted.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I removed the welds on my X19 and I ended up with a high speed porpoise. I had to pay to have it put back on and painted.
    I knew that was a possibility since that’s why Xpress puts the weld there at the factory, but it was a risk I was willing to take. It was a cobbled weld to say the least, and at points stuck 5/16” below the pad. I smoothed it out and left an 1/8” and it fells like a different boat.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rolopayne View Post
    Do you have ay pic's of the finial outcome, looking to do this hen I get home rom my hitch.
    I will get pics in the near future

Quote Originally Posted by 1GThompson View Post
    Great job buddy. They do not all come out the same from the factory for sure. Some are ok some or not. Just need to fine tune them to your liking. Sounds like you have it running like it should now.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

12. Member
    43B00E8C-E97D-43ED-BCD6-9F4040069112.jpeg This is port side after I removed some of the weld.
    Last edited by 1GThompson; 05-15-2020 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added text