For any Harley Motor heads

Having a hard start issue with grinding so I know it's time to replace the compensator.
    Has anyone here ever replaced one and how was it? Which one did you use? Any issues?

Thanks.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Having a hard start issue with grinding so I know it's time to replace the compensator.
    Has anyone here ever replaced one and how was it? Which one did you use? Any issues?

Thanks.
    I don't even know what that means only staring problems I ever had was weak battery.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

The comp issue normally sounds like a clank on start up.

The grinding sound is the starter drive. Easier and cheaper to fix than a comp.

Eventually there's 2 things you're going to need for your bike.

1) Factory service manual. Don't waste your time or money on Haynes or Clymer.

2) Factory electric diagnostics manual.

Optional (but handy) is

3) Factor part catalogue.
    Last edited by Alan S; 05-11-2020 at 08:05 AM.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

here is a pretty decent online Micro Fisch with part diagrams.
    I normally find my part # and then either find it online or flea bay or a aftermarket one.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    here is a pretty decent online Micro Fisch with part diagrams.
    I normally find my part # and then either find it online or flea bay or a aftermarket one.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc
    That works great for newer bikes, but as time goes by a lot of parts become obsolete from Harley. Aren't many parts available for my 30 yr old FXR.
    Alan

I have the factory service manual. I've been looking at the Baker Compensator but damn, $599. Then you need the chain tensioner and recommended you change the chain with the mileage I have. Screamin Eagle Comp is half the money but would wear out quicker and still be kind of noisy... Decisions.

I have the factory service manual. I've been looking at the Baker Compensator but damn, $599. Then you need the chain tensioner and recommended you change the chain with the mileage I have. Screamin Eagle Comp is half the money but would wear out quicker and still be kind of noisy... Decisions.
    If it's grinding and not clanking, it's a starter issue.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
    That works great for newer bikes, but as time goes by a lot of parts become obsolete from Harley. Aren't many parts available for my 30 yr old FXR.

agreed and some on my 07 are not there but original part numbers most of the time are and you can cross them the majority of the time to something.

Your decision should be to do the easiest and cheapest first. Change the starter clutch. Grinding is a sign of starter problems.

Cheap and it can almost be done without the manual.

But feel free to go ahead and change the comp.
    Alan

Was the chain and Compensator. Passed on all the aftermarket stuff, too expensive. Stopped to talk with Dave Perewitz and he had a new take-off from a belt conversion so I bought that and a facotry tensioner for $100. Compensator and clutch came out ok. Clutch had some broken spline on the transmission end but cleaned everything and re-assembled without issue. Starts fine now. Next thing for me are the isolators on the swingarm and front of the motor, then an alighnment if I can find someone to do it.
    Been pouring on the miles when it's decent enough to get out. just never stops with the east wind and cold temps here....