Thread: Shimano DC

Shimano DC

Are the Shimano DC really worth having? What’s your opinion?
    Phoenix 21PHX 250 SHO, Lowrance Carbons & Ghost & Active Target

2. Member
    I've got 5. They're great reels for casting spinnerbaits or jerkbaits against the wind. Almost make it foolproof. I also like them for skipping under dock. I guess I like them for a lot of things!

3. Member
    Good reels for the price.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Good reels for the price.
    Kinda depends on the models. The SLX models are a little under $200 and the Metanium is $500. The Japanese models go up even higher in price. I didn’t specify which ones, just the DC function.
    Phoenix 21PHX 250 SHO, Lowrance Carbons & Ghost & Active Target

5. Member
    Metanium in my eyes wasn’t worth the dollars when you can get a Antreas Monster Drive for 550 new on some of the JDM sites Curado and SLX are definitely worth it though.

Mine are for apps that extra long casts benefit. Spooks, buzzbaits, frogs, ploppers etc etc. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

7. Member
    IMO if you're new to baitcasters they are absolutely worth it, or if you're just having trouble getting the hang of something like skipping with a baitcaster. I have one that I'll use on occasion but it's mostly for when my daughter fishes with me. She can pitch and cast with it like she's been using a baitcaster for 20 years. Once I got it set right it took her about 30 minutes to look like a pro.

8. Member
    I have 2 of the Curado DC's and to me they are definitely worth it. As stated earlier, casting against the wind and skipping are two areas where the DC reels can really make a big difference. My friend's cousin just got one of the SLX DC reels and my friend said that the SLX reel feels a lot more plastic-y and cheap feeling than my Curado DC. I haven't handled one of the SLX DC reels to say whether that is accurate or not. I can't say as I get much more casting distance from the DC reels, but I love having the confidence of throwing harder into the wind or skipping under overhangs without the fear of having to pick out a massive backlash afterwards. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

9. Member
    Maybe I can help. I've got 5 Shimano DC reels, from the most expensive ( 2 Calais DC - now Antares ) to the least expensive a SLX DC. I also have a Calcutta DC and a Curado DC. Because of the differences in price, they are built differently. There is more fine tuning of the DC system in the more expensive reels. Even then, the DC system works the same. It lets the spool turn faster and reacts quicker so you get more distance and more control in difficult conditions.
    Last edited by Real L; 05-16-2020 at 02:46 PM.

10. Member
    Ive got 5 curado dc’s now and have been nothing short of impressed with them. They can do pretty much anything you ask them to. Im not a great flipper and dont claim to be, but they keep the annoying line loops down for the most part that i was having to turn and throw out the other side of the boat to get out. I can skip with the dc’s much more proficiently than with other reels and on the occasion i screw up and nose dive it in the water 10’ in front of the boat i just have to pick a few loops out instead of blowing up an entire spool of line. I also use them dragging tx rigs and carolina rigs. While i wish they had just a slightly deeper spool i havent had any issues with it
    They aint got hands, set the hook

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPHX View Post
    Kinda depends on the models. The SLX models are a little under $200 and the Metanium is $500. The Japanese models go up even higher in price. I didn’t specify which ones, just the DC function.
    I have the Curados which I think are well worth having.

12. Member
    Are they worth it? Depends what you're using them for, i fish western Minnesota and North Dakota, so an average day is 20mph wind and they excel. I own the metanium, a few curados and an slx dc... all nice reels, the slx does feel much cheaper than the others, but... it's cheaper

13. Member
    Has anyone had experience with the 17 Scorpion 100 DC HG?
    I just ordered one from Japan based on some information, but don't know anyone with first hand experience with them.
    I was told that they are a step above the Curado because they have the I-DC5 tech and more possible settings.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPHX View Post
    Are the Shimano DC really worth having? What’s your opinion?
    I believe the answer to this question is how often do you backlash a baitcaster? Everyone has a different proficiency. I have been using a BC reel since the original Garcia Red Ambassadeur 5000 A, close to 50 years. Back then you better believe A Shimano DC would have made me a much better caster. Today, not so much. I rarely ( did not say never) backlash a BC reel, regardless of the brake type. The DC would be of minimal benefit to me. Only an individual can answer that question.

15. Member
    Most of my reels are some version of Tatula but I have a Curado DC. The Shimano will absolutely bomb a lure and will not backlash. It’s the best reel I have for really getting a Medium to heavy lure out there. It’s also very well made and feels great in hand.

However, for lighter lures and pitching/flipping/skipping I still prefer Daiwa, especially the Tat SV. The Shimano spool I have seems to want a good bit of force to start up while the Tat will get going with a much easier cast.

I bought the Curado DC primarily for skipping but I find that it really shines for chucking top waters, crankbaits, football heads, etc. a long, long way. I went back to skipping (very poorly, I might add) with a Tatula SV.

16. Member
    I think the 4x8 versions are pretty remarkable. The Curado DC doesn't really do anything the K won't do, just makes it easier.