Question EM+ 95SV GT52HW CHIRP 800Khz right side scan issue?

When I configure the unit to use CHIRP 800Khz on the side scan, the right side of the image is dark, and that does not change for any water I am in, including turning around 180 degrees and back tracking over (thus flipping the bottom around). It seems like 455Khz is the default, but the unit does allow me to use 800Khz on the GT52hw for side scan. So I guess my question is, what could be causing this? SideVu with 455K seems to be work fine, DownVu with either 455 or 800 seems fine, etc. So I am hoping someone will tell me this is a software issue. I am in a kayak, the transducer is at least a few inches below the hull of the kayak, but the kayak is indeed to the right of the transducer, meaning transducer is mounted on the left side of the kayak.

So software issue, or any chance I have a defective GT52HW? I have babied this gear so nothing has been 'whacked'.

Also, even though I see the DownVu or SideVu to 800K, upon next power boot up, the unit will have have set back to 455K. Is this normal, or might this be a software issue? I'm not aware of any other software settings that default back to something other than what I have selected, upon a new power boot up.

Attached are two images of SideVU, one at 455K and the other at 800K.
    10MAY20_1225_00.bmp
    10MAY20_1247_00.bmp

2. Member
    No thoughts? Did I put this in the wrong Garmin section? I'll try to get more pictures over the next week or two; have a really sick family member so might be a while.

3. Member
    if youre in a kayak try leaning it to each side while scanning and see what the result is

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    if youre in a kayak try leaning it to each side while scanning and see what the result is
    Yeah I did that already, makes no difference. Here is another picture. The white line is where I switched from 800K to 455K. So the lower section is 800K and above the white line is 455K. I might try to mount the transducer backwards deliberately to see if the dark side of the image tracks with the physical side of the transducer, or simply mount it on other side of the kayak.

14MAY20_0824_00.bmp

5. Member
    I've had similar issues but have not been able to isolate. Always the right side, or both sides when I see the issue. Thought that was strange given its the side that is free and clear of the motor. Ignore the terrible quality in my attached image. Unfortunately, it's the best example I have to show the darkness. Same as you, 455 is fine, 800 is dark. My best guess is a possible mounting issue for me, although still not sure why the variance between 455 & 800.

Another theory is range of 800 vs. 455. That doesn't explain the left/right variance though...

IMG_20200505_185719.jpg

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcelmury View Post
    Another theory is range of 800 vs. 455. That doesn't explain the left/right variance though...
    Yeah exactly. I'll have to turn the transducer around and test it. But dam, I just got the thing rigged on my kayak and am loving it. I will love the whole setup even more when these dam Canadian May month black flies vanish. The friggers today were even trying to get into the back of my head through the corner of my eyes. Grrrrrrrrrrr.